Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
32,229 Posts
At one time my wife and I had a RHD Lancia Dedra and a LHD Nuova Delta HPE. No problems.
Except the one time my wife got into the passenger side of the Delta and had to pretend she really did mean to look in the glovebox....

·
Registered
37,195 Posts
I'd love to have a go in a Guilia QV manual. Just a shame they are all left-hookers. Not sure if I'd rather live with a left hooker or live with an auto.
Sadly most people faced with that choice are going to buy the equivalent BMW M car.

As much as I love the Giulia QV I don't think I will ever own one as I don't like autos. Or DCT/TCT/DSG for that matter.

·
Premium Member
45,081 Posts
Sadly most people faced with that choice are going to buy the equivalent BMW M car.

As much as I love the Giulia QV I don't think I will ever own one as I don't like autos. Or DCT/TCT/DSG for that matter.
What was the last M car with a manual? E90/E92 M3? They're all 10+ years old now (and nearly in the buy-zone for me :D)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some of the inputs above have touched on the subject of economy. I.e Alfa Romeo economy. Hopefully the Stelvio has generated a positive cash flow - the Quadrifoglio very probably not - despite being "best car ever" - my personal evaluation. The "all-out" engineering in QF has - to my mind - not - unfortunately - payed off in volume of sales.

Very likely Alfa beancounters will push the issue and keep spending at a - relatively - tight budget. This might still enable an Alfa IRS and a 300+bhp engine, but no Torque Vectoring or Integrated Chassis Control.

·
Registered
32,229 Posts
“What was the last M car with a manual? E90/E92 M3?“
Food colourant or car?
Not Alfas anyway!

·
Registered
172 Posts
It'll likely have two wheels driven by ICE and the other two driven by electric. That gives you AWD without any fancy engineering or extra weight. There's no chance of a manual either. It just doesn't work with the electric. The best will be flappy paddles, but don't expect them on the base model.

Don't worry about the platform too much. Many previous Alfas have been based on uninspiring platforms but driven well.

The price will be in the £30k mark due to the electric components on top of the ICE.

The name is interesting, its only in the UK that people have thought of Toenail, but that's because we are too lazy and ignorant to get foreign pronunciation correct. The number of people that mispronounce Alfa Romeo (***** Row-Me-Oh), Maserati (Maz-er-RAT-e), and Lamborghini (Lamb-boar-Gee-Knee) is scary up here in Yorkshire. We aren't the main market and it has the pass association so don't expect it to change.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
MrMickS - interesting observations:
-electric RWD is certainly a possibility - however I don´t believe that`s mainstream- a bit too early - time will tell.
- I agree - the concern about name is UK only.

Also: Alfa need to come out with cars earning money: Tonale is supposedly a moneymaker: safe road is traditional SUV/crossover - then "electrification".

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I’m a convert to the auto in the Stelvio. I just have to remember to apply the handbrake after parking my wife’s car!
I am the same, I am a total convert to the automatic brake on my Seat. The amount of times I've forgotten to pull the handbrake on the wife's Mini is astounding.

·
Registered
37,195 Posts
What was the last M car with a manual? E90/E92 M3? They're all 10+ years old now (and nearly in the buy-zone for me :D)
I thought that modern M cars had the option of manual for some reason.

The sort of person who buys a car like that would at least like the option of a manual I would have thought.

·
Premium Member
45,081 Posts
I thought that modern M cars had the option of manual for some reason.

The sort of person who buys a car like that would at least like the option of a manual I would have thought.
Most of the people that buy them new spec the auto/DCT option, even if it costs more, so even if a manual is an option it is rarer to find on the second hand market.

·
Registered
37,195 Posts
Most of the people that buy them new spec the auto/DCT option, even if it costs more, so even if a manual is an option it is rarer to find on the second hand market.
I hated the DCT on my 335i, and I didn't like the Auto on the 640d which I had for a hire much either. In fact I would score them about the same...

I suppose most people who buy them know that these days a car spends a good proportion of time stuck in traffic. Thats where an Auto scores. Those days of b-road blasts which suit a manual are few and far between now due to rubbish roads, cameras etc...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Symon, I don´t undestand. My experience from ZF-8 in both X4 335 and Stelvio Quadrifoglio, is that in MANUAL mode you can get same - or better - gearchange - without using a clutch. You can adjust speed/aggressiveness/smoothness of gearchange with the mode-selector.

As I have written before - the "perfect" tuning of AUTO and engine - in DYNAMIC - made it obsolete to use MANUAL in QF - Alfa/ZF did it better than I can.

·
Registered
32,229 Posts
And the eco app readout proves it by telling me I get about 70- 80% for acceleration and deceleration but 100% for gear selection as long as I leave it on auto.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My point was that ZF8 - manually shifted- is all the joy of a manual, but without the left foot. However I found out that in case of QF, the power AND match of the ZF8, was so good, I - primarily - used AUTO gearchange and dynamic. However dynamic is a bit rough with ice/snow and non-studded tyres, so I ended up with preferring my 9000 Turbo with non-studded tyres.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Coming back to engineering - I know nothing about Chrysler 9-speed, which I believe is what will go into Tonale. Anybody?

I know that GM and Ford developed jointly east/west 9-speed and north/south 10 speed automatics.

Is the 9-speed same as GM/Ford?

ZF is expensive - Alfa can´t afford to install ZF8 even if it is a better gearbox.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A merger between FCA ans PSA, could have an impact on Tonale, which would be good and bad.

Good because PSA have more modern/"better" architectures than the one presumably being used for T.

Bad because any change of plans would mean - at least - 6 month delay.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts