Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes and yes, you can get digital ones for under a tenner delivered (Amazon or eBay). The cheap ones take a few seconds to give an accurate read, but still way better than guesswork.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Too........... many.................. smut................. laden.................remarks!......aagghhhh.................................

·
Registered
2,852 Posts

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
My oven has a plug in probe, switches the oven off when correct middle of joint temperature is reached......definately changed my way of overcooking meat.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I have never used one, and don't really understand why they're needed.? Though willing to be persuaded...

I was always taught that once the juices ran clear, the meat was cooked. There's only an issue if you're an habitual over-cooker I suppose (which I'm not... too impatient, too hungry). Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
934 Posts
cooking is science... a thermometer will help ensure perfect results everytime. Often your ovens temperature gage is really inaccurate so you should get a good oven thermometer as well...

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually use the prod test on beef, the juice running clear on poultry and the time method for pork and ham :)

The only reason I asked is because Jan wants to buy me a kitchen gadget for Christmas :D

I'll ask for some new knives I think :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I bought one last week as I wasn't quite sure how long it would take to cook a big beef joint. Couple of quid from Tescos and it's bloody brilliant cooked the joint to perfect just slightly pink thanks to this little sucker.

Just stuck it in meat leave it in whilst cooking and wait till needle says rare, simples.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cooked a Sirloin joint last week and did the prod test and it was perfect, cooked well enough on the outside and rare but not bleeding in the middle :D

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have one but have never used it on meat. Prod/juices rules work fine.

The thermometer is very useful for fiddly temperature sensitive stuff like soufflés or desserts through.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Our frozen turkey has a pop out thermometer fitted :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts