Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I need to bleed the breaks on my 155 and since I have never done this before some hints and tips would be good from you seasoned lot! I dont have the workshop manual, does anyone have a picture by picture guide of what to do? Also, is there a specific replacment fluid I should use and any special tools one requires? Thanks, help is much needed, breaking is like stepping onto a trifle 6 feet away - makes for interesting cornering

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Bleed in the following order:-
Front Left
Front Right
Rear Left
Rear Right

Use DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid or ATE Blue Stuff

Make sure the car is on a levelish surface,
when you bleed the rears, make sure there is weight on the back wheels, ie not jacked up.
This is so the braking regulator is at the correct position, although you made need to adjust that.
You may need to get a new spring for it. They tend to rust in a stretched position -like mine has.

You may need to manipulate the lever so the piston is actually moving. Things I have yet to get done on mine.

You may find that by adjusting/fixing the rear brake compensator makes your brakes feel better in the first place.

·
Registered
731 Posts
No need to follow any particular order if the car has ABS ;)
Make sure that there is enough fluid in the resovoir.

As Celedon says very important to have the weight on the rear axle. I find that with the handbrake off and engine on it makes the rears easier to do.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Ah! My old "Boy's book of Motor Mechanics" says bleed the caliper that is furthest away from the master cylinder first. This would make the bleed order:

Offside rear
Nearside rear
Offside front
Nearside front

While you're there, also bleed the clutch as it probably hasn't been done for a million years too.

Blead each caliper until clean fluid comes out, so you know that all the bubbles and old crap has been pushed out.

Bleed the rear calipers with the handbrake off and the cables "slack" (adjuster is under the handbrake lever)

Check the brake balance valve is correctly set and the spring not set (though not crucial to the bleeding itself).

While you're in there, remove the sliding bolts from the front caliper, clean the gloop off them (sand them down a bit) then grease and re-fit. It'll make everything more keen to move when you puch the pedal.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ah! My old "Boy's book of Motor Mechanics" says bleed the caliper that is furthest away from the master cylinder first. This would make the bleed order:

Offside rear
Nearside rear
Offside front
Nearside front

While you're there, also bleed the clutch as it probably hasn't been done for a million years too.

Blead each caliper until clean fluid comes out, so you know that all the bubbles and old crap has been pushed out.

Bleed the rear calipers with the handbrake off and the cables "slack" (adjuster is under the handbrake lever)

Check the brake balance valve is correctly set and the spring not set (though not crucial to the bleeding itself).

While you're in there, remove the sliding bolts from the front caliper, clean the gloop off them (sand them down a bit) then grease and re-fit. It'll make everything more keen to move when you puch the pedal.

Ralf S.
spot-on Ralf S

Glad someone knows the correct way :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I was only going by what it says in my 155 manual !!

It also says that doing incorrectly may result in air in the cylinder, and then you have another procedure to follow if that happens ...

However, if you are using a one-man bleeding kit, you shouldnt get air in the cylinder.

So perhaps my manual is talking bolleaux :)

Has your old "Boy's book of Motor Mechanics" been revised since ABS was invented :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
spot-on Ralf S

Glad someone knows the correct way :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Am I wrong in saying that with ABS there no need to bleed in the above order?

If so , no probs, please shout..... so that we can have accurate info for future readers :)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I was only going by what it says in my 155 manual !!

It also says that doing incorrectly may result in air in the cylinder, and then you have another procedure to follow if that happens ...

However, if you are using a one-man bleeding kit, you shouldnt get air in the cylinder.

So perhaps my manual is talking bolleaux :)

Has your old "Boy's book of Motor Mechanics" been revised since ABS was invented :D
Aye! I haven't got a clue. :lol:

The "Boy's book of Motor Mechanics" tips worked okay on my old Fiat 126 but probably things have moved on since then. Anyhow I did my '55's brakes like that and they came up okay.

I think the ABS doesn't mind how the brakes are bled. I changed two brake pipes on my old beast (from the ABS to the front calipers) and just bled as normal. Everything seems fine.

Hopefully an expert will tell us for sure.

Ralf S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts