Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my 1st MCSF light come up tonight :(

Basically what happened and what I was doing was chasing a rather tasty modded Seat Leon Cupra R, the one from the MK4 Golf GTi setup and I had the dreaded MCSF light pop up :eek:

Now when it happened I pulled over straight away and noticed that the temperture gauge was at 0c, now I know it's been playing up so I assume it totally failed so I switched her off and waited for a few moments then fired her up again and the gauge was still 0c, so I was about to phone the AA out as I didn't dare drive her and then it jumped into life again. Now at the time the temperture gauge went to 0c I noticed that there was no heat coming through the vents so I think the thermostat is playing up and I only had the new radiator fitted today :(

So could the MCSF light come on with a tempermentle thermostat or could the temperture sender be playing up also?

Cheers peeps :D

PS - I have just jumped on the bay of E and bought a fault reader :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as you just had a new radiator fitted, perhaps some air in the system ?
I thought that at 1st as it might be stuck open but before it happened and on the way home from getting the radiator fitted I noticed the thermostat dropping down to 75c when traveling above the national limit so I am thinking thermostat and temperture sender doh!

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
Its likely your temp sender has failed/is failing. Dodgy thermostat wouldn't cause MSCF, just over-cooling.

EDIT: Just saw the extra posts, at 75 degree C you have a sticking thermostat as well. The temp sender is mounted in the thermostat housing by the way.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its likely your temp sender has failed/is failing. Dodgy thermostat wouldn't cause MSCF, just over-cooling.
Ah ha cheers bud, might as well change both at the same time :thumbs:

Is the temp sender easy to fit like on a twinny Pud?

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
Yeah, easy. Stats are pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

EDIT: Just saw the extra posts, at 75 degree C you have a sticking thermostat as well. The temp sender is mounted in the thermostat housing by the way.
It's not often I disagree with you Dan, but the stat does cause mcsf, it did with mine. I changed it, and no longer had the problem.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
What was the error code? I've not come across it before, my old GTA never got above 70 degrees until I changed the stat and I never had MCSF, I did a couple of thousand miles with it like that including a day at Oulton Park. There is no sensor to tell the ECU the positon of the thermostat, as in open or closed. There is only the coolant temperature sensor.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pud you have PM :)

Cheers people for confirming what I though :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Not 100% sure, it was something to do with coolant system on the code reader (1165?)

It used to come on at exactly the same place on my way home from work when very cold. It was like the car gave itself 5 mins to get to temp, then it gave mcsf when it realised there was an issue.

New stat and it was fixed.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
My last 147 GTA caused MCSF when thermostat was faulty...

Car doesn't warm up properly, temp needle drops to 0, fans can also stay on....

This is your problem Scott.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My last 147 GTA caused MCSF when thermostat was faulty...

This is your problem Scott.
Bingo that's pretty much spot on and sorted it self after :lol:

New stat and sender bought and on their way :D

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
Thats ECU not receiving an output from the temp sender, safety mode is to keep the fans running permanently incase the coolant is too hot. With stuck open thermo but working temp sender you would normally see coolant temps of 50-70 or so depending on rad condition & engine load.

Perhaps the 147 also reports an error if the car doesn't get up to temp within a certain time period but the 156 definitely doesn't.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am very good at spending Brad, glad I didn't spunk all my money on the GTA and not save some for doing bits when they need doing :D

Tbh it makes sense to change the temp sender at the same time Joe as the part is off and it's cheap anyway :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts