Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 156 Sw 1.8 TS (2003,interior facelift has had the MSC failure light coming on for about six or seven weeks. It comes and goes. The car run faultlessly with plenty of power and very smooth.

AR dealer diagnosed the following:

PO302 Error-Cylinder 2 ignition failures

PO304 Error-Cylinder 4 ignition failures

Plugs were changed and it was okay for about a four days. Since then a trusted mecahnic (works at Volvo main dealers) has swapped coil packs and injectors. Okay for a few days then the MCS failure light returns. As I said the car runs 100%!!!

Anybody got any ideas of where to go next?

I have owned the car for about 15 months and it came with a full service history and has been great apart from this problem. it has done 66,000 miles, so fairly low for a 2003.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi

My 156 Sw 1.8 TS (2003,interior facelift has had the MSC failure light coming on for about six or seven weeks. It comes and goes. The car run faultlessly with plenty of power and very smooth.

AR dealer diagnosed the following:

PO302 Error-Cylinder 2 ignition failures

PO304 Error-Cylinder 4 ignition failures

Plugs were changed and it was okay for about a four days. Since then a trusted mecahnic (works at Volvo main dealers) has swapped coil packs and injectors. Okay for a few days then the MCS failure light returns. As I said the car runs 100%!!!

Anybody got any ideas of where to go next?

I have owned the car for about 15 months and it came with a full service history and has been great apart from this problem. it has done 66,000 miles, so fairly low for a 2003.

Thanks
Have you checked the codes again after the swap?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Get the codes read to see if the error have changed to teh cylinders that the coilpacks were moved to. If so then coilpacks are possibly failing

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Thanks for the response

The fault is still there after swapping the coil packs. We swapped the coil packs to see if the error followed the coil pack, but no luck.

This is very much an intermittment fault, so maybe just change the coil packs as they may be breaking down but not consistently? Apart from that I do not really know what else to change?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
So you are still getting failure on 2 and 4 when you used 1 and 3' coilpacks. Points to either a wiring probelm so maybe a damaged wire on these connections or perhaps a damaged ecu :(. that's all I can think of

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Joss

Thanks for the input. Is there any best way to test the ECU, rather than fork out to buy a new one and try it?

Its pointing to changing all things related until its cured, but that can get pretty expensive

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Joss

Thanks for the input. Is there any best way to test the ECU, rather than fork out to buy a new one and try it?

Its pointing to changing all things related until its cured, but that can get pretty expensive

Cheers
I think instead of forking out for new ECU, I would try following:

a) unplug coils and give all connections (plugs) a very good scrub and clean - my one was misfiring on #1 - works fine after clean. (Use electrical cleaner/lube)
b) check plugs to make sure those are in fact correct one - you would be surprised.
c) get some injector cleaner/get some good quality fuel.

Those would be cheapest things that you can possibly do. From there onwards I would start looking for a mechanic that knows what he is doing. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts