Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 05 GT JTD.

I got the MCSF message this morning - drove a couple of miles to the caf for a spot of brekkie!, When I came out the cooling fan was still spinning and the battery was flat..

I've seen a thread about this on the GTA forum and there were suggestions of thermostat and sensor..

also I've seen suggestion of new battery.

I don't have FES (anyone know if it works on a Mac with parallels?), so I'll take it to my mechanic and get the error codes...I am assuming that the MCSF message and the fan is connected?

LAst thing..the cooling fan is still spinning continously while the engine is off - I located the fuse and when I move the fuse holder it cuts the fan on and off - so could be a corroded relay wire?? I've had to remove the fuse to stop the fan running all night.....

any advice gratefully received..annoyed as just got new GTA antiroll bar and driveshaft fitted and was hoping for a few problem free miles!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It could be that your fan relay has broken (and left itself switched on) ... I've seen an MCSF before due to problems with the fan relay before, your best (first) bet would be to get your codes read.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
check coolant temp sensor on thermostat pay attention to wires and the connector ..try moving them about to see if fans stop or alter tone /speed

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
check coolant temp sensor on thermostat pay attention to wires and the connector ..try moving them about to see if fans stop or alter tone /speed

The thing is that the ECU sits between the temp sensor and the fan relays, therefore even if there were a problem with the sensor the ECU will be switched off when the car is off ... the problem must therefore lie between the ECU and the fans (or the ECU itself)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
The thing is that the ECU sits between the temp sensor and the fan relays, therefore even if there were a problem with the sensor the ECU will be switched off when the car is off ... the problem must therefore lie between the ECU and the fans (or the ECU itself)
ah right:thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can move the fuse box and the fan cuts in and out - so poss a connection problem? would that cause the fan to stay on when the engines off?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I can move the fuse box and the fan cuts in and out - so poss a connection problem? would that cause the fan to stay on when the engines off?
Yes, the relays that control the fan are wired to the "always on" 12v supply (its just the ECU that controls when they just be actually switched on), so sounds like you've found where your problem is :thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts