Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 4 good years out of my 2.0D TS estate, it has been totally reliable and it goes and handles surprisingly well for a fairly big barge. Averages over 40mpg and I'm either in commuter traffic or doing a "respectable" 70 ;) on the motorway (most of its miles).

That said, it is at 74k and while I am ready to trade in , I feel sort of obliged to deal with the 75k service so I checked with my supplying main dealer. It is the cambelt service, £905 plus £120 extra if the tensioner is worn too! :wow: The car is only now worth £3750-£4050 trade. CAP has it at £5850 retail (my brother has access as he buys for a van fleet). I haven't been bid a PX yet.

So I Googled to find estimates of the costs independently. Guess what? Mazda forums don't seem to be as active as AO - at least all the ones I checked.

Nor could I find any respectable NW independent but I did find a really scary backroom forum on Honest John's (a motoring journo's) website that listed horrendous failures with the 6 diesel. :wow: And I was viewing a 159 with trepidation! :rolleyes:

I may just chop the car in and take the hit - I'd have to mention it to any private buyer- but if anyone knows a genuine, decent NW Mazda independent that can do the cam belt at a fair price, please post or PM me.

Equally if anyone is in the market for a properly maintained big estate at trade price, get in touch.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know too much about that Nev. Mine has been fine. So what does one believe?

The issues on the forum just seemed analagous to what we see said about some Alfas being problematic at times. The difference is Mazda is perceived to be very reliable whilst Alfas are not.

U

·
0 Posts
Somehow I don't trust Jap DERV engines. :confused:
Its a Ford engine - and the cambelt service is well documented - the worst aspect of the engine however, I understand, is the fuel pump which is buried in the depths of the unit and is known to be liable to failure at around 75,000 miles.
I have read the Honest John web site, but coincidentally a colleague of mine had the pump fail just over 70,000 miles with the car off road awaiting spares for a week and a big bill to go with it.
I suspect the high cost quoted to the OP included fuel pump replacement - seems high for just a cam belt?

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a Ford engine - and the cambelt service is well documented - the worst aspect of the engine however, I understand, is the fuel pump which is buried in the depths of the unit and is known to be liable to failure at around 75,000 miles.
I have read the Honest John web site, but coincidentally a colleague of mine had the pump fail just over 70,000 miles with the car off road awaiting spares for a week and a big bill to go with it.
I suspect the high cost quoted to the OP included fuel pump replacement - seems high for just a cam belt?
No it included the service, five fuel line gaskets, brake and coolant replacement, oil, & filters of course, plugs this time and some other over-priced odds-and-sods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts