Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I fit a tyre with 225 width on a 147? I've misplaced my manual so can't look it up.

I'm looking at new sets with:

Width:225
Profile/Ratio: 45
Rating: Z
Tyre size:17

I've searched forum but only found someone with 215 width.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
225/45R17 will fit within the std arches of a 156 so I would think would be fine on a std 147 too.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I think the biggest homologated tyre is 215 on a 17" rim.

However, even though I personally prefer to stick with the standard sizes validated by the OEM, I don't suppose there is anything stopping you going bigger as long as there isn't interference with things like wheelarch liners etc when you turn the wheels!

Not sure how good the ride quality would be. Would be interested to hear your feedback if you try it. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm worried the wheel arches might not be wide enough for the 225. Although now you mention ride quality, thats got me worried too. I alwys thought the wider the width the better :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Bit of a contentious one that.

Some on here feel that the ride quality on 17s is poor and that the just about handles 16s. Not all agree.

Me, I don't know any different. I just use an iPod instead of the CD player to avoid it skipping. :)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Probusterrace said:
Bit of a contentious one that.

Some on here feel that the ride quality on 17s is poor and that the just about handles 16s. Not all agree.

Me, I don't know any different. I just use an iPod instead of the CD player to avoid it skipping. :)
If you have 16" rims then you would be very disappointed in the ride with 17" rims. The standard damping is inadequate even with new factory dampers. You need aftermarket dampers to control the 'bouncing' and the resultant rough ride.

I would not personally go beyond 215x45x17 with 'standard' 7"x 17" rims. You really need 7 1/2" x 17" rims to go to 225

·
Registered
640 Posts
Agree with comments on the ride and suspensions ability to cope with 17s. I also think the 215s are verging on being overtyred - I feel there would be too much tyre if you went up to 225s. This will have a negative effect on steering feel & response and tramlining.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I didn't buy the 17" rims plus tyres that I was tracking on ebay with the above specs. I have to wait a while now anyway to change suspension and wheels since my 72k service has ended up costing me more than £600 (wishbone, rear arms, hub bushes, air filter, tyre, tail gate lock, rear wiper, screen wash moto/driver, MOT)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to Lloyd at clovertech in Dagenham. I'm off to pick it up tonight after MOT. It failed MOT last night due to one tyre wear plus tail gate/boot not opening and something to do with brake discs (can't remember what exactly). But most of the other problems like rear arms and bushes have been there since my last service but I just decided not to do them then. Desira in Southgate (most expensive alfa garage i think) gave me a long list of things to do at the 60k service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts