Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here, with a beer, on a nice summers night (reminds me of a '60's song) and thinking of how our modern mindset doesn't give a s**t.
I used to work at Ryton, Coventry. The Peugeot plant. It had a great history as being a shadow factory during the war, making aircraft engines to help in the war effort to give France back to its people. And then building various British cars until eventually Peugeot took over. With the cooperation of the workforce, successful iconic cars were built and sold.
Culminating in the 206. Every 206 that left the production line made a profit for the company. Even when they closed the factory.
This was obviously not enough for the French company. They decided, instead of investing in Ryton and its workforce, to build a factory in Slovakia. Here they could pay thier workforce a pittance (£350/month).
So why am I dispirited and angry? Because living in Rugby where a lot of the Peugeot employees came from, I see brand new Peugeot cars being driven around. The factory site which was said to become the largest warehouse, distribution site in the UK after it had been flattened, has now after 7 years , got a small building in the corner of the site.
This French company sacked over 4,800 British workers and still their cars are being bought in UK. Why doesn't the public buy cars that are made in UK such as Honda, Toyota and Nissan.
Disgusted, disprirted, fed up and stick my tongue out to any Peugeot with a plate after 2006.
Geoff

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Geoff,

A few of us here have been through redundancy (in my case, a few times) and appreciate the bitter taste left behind after such a life-changing event.

Consumers nowadays, tend not to give a crap about where the product has come from, be it a £3 chicken from tesco's or a Pug built in Slovakia; the economic decline has meant people are looking for the best deal, regardless of history :(

Unfortunately, there's nowt you can do about it fella...you have to move on and just accept that what has happened, has happened.

Enjoy your beer :)

C

·
0 Posts
Like you did? :rolleyes:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::cheese:

Theres probably loads of Frogs somewhere, crying into their Vin rouge, when Peugeot took their manufacturing to the UK.
You'll probably be telling us next how you could buy two new suits, go to the flicks, have a chip supper and still have change from 2 shillings and sixpence.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
When I worked in Coventry in the late 60s/early 70s I seem to remember Ryton was on strike as much as Jaguar, the Standard etc......despite all the car factories being on very good wages.....and the workers didn't necessarily drive the cars they made then, even tho they got big discounts...... understandable in the case of Jag, I guess!

·
Registered
44,771 Posts
The old Peugeot works is now 'Prologis Park Ryton',it has one huge warehouse / aircraft hangar type building on it. Not sure if they're planning on building anything else.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably houses. But I think it might be difficult as, just before it closed, environmental health took bore samples and were down 20 feet and aparently getting samples of aviation fuel from WW2. Also in one corner of the site is a large pond which apparently has great crested newts living there.:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts