Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italia independent question?

Is there such a thing as a T-Cut you can get for this stupid Matt colour?
Love the colour combo but what a pain in the arse the paint is....even to match!

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Its possibly due to previous owner using wax on it. The matt and satin paints are naturally 'rougher' texture than a gloss finish, which relies on the smoothness to reflect light back. If its been over-waxed before, then excess wax will be trapped in the 'hollows' of the paint finish, which is what you are probably seeing. You need a product that will strip the wax back, but definitely not a cutting compound, which will make it look a damn lot worse.

I know it sounds like a bad idea, but you could try a wash with washing up liquid......just the once, it might just be detergent enough to strip off any wax build up, and then wash it with proper shampoo especially made for matt finishes, and then a matt paint sealer.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its possibly due to previous owner using wax on it. The matt and satin paints are naturally 'rougher' texture than a gloss finish, which relies on the smoothness to reflect light back. If its been over-waxed before, then excess wax will be trapped in the 'hollows' of the paint finish, which is what you are probably seeing. You need a product that will strip the wax back, but definitely not a cutting compound, which will make it look a damn lot worse.

I know it sounds like a bad idea, but you could try a wash with washing up liquid......just the once, it might just be detergent enough to strip off any wax build up, and then wash it with proper shampoo especially made for matt finishes, and then a matt paint sealer.
Definitely not been waxed, the paint is as it should be - I was looking for a product that can remove light scratches?
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To remove unsightly scratches on the Matt paint and to save respraying it just yet, what difference would it make to polish the car as a short term fix?
Does the paint work just look totally spoilt if it’s polished?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone polished their Italia independent as a short term fix to hide unsightly scratches?
Would polishing it make it look strange?
Anyone done this to polish out scratches?
I want to do smithing short term until I decide to respray her, polishing out the scratches seems the cheapest option?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts