Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Advice please!!

My GT 1.9JTD will not engage gear. I had a bit of travel in my clutch which over apprx 50 miles got so bad to the point I could not select a gear. I understand that it's something to do with the master or slave cylinder?!

I've checked the brake fluid and it seems to be ok. Can anyone tell me which one it's likely to be? Which is the cheap one and which is the expensive one? The car only has 32k miles on the clock most of it on the motorway. The clutch has been heavy for some time but i assumed this was relatively normal for a GT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
remove the battery and tray and take a look at the slave. it'll be the thing that's sat into a cylindrical shiny metal holder pretty much directly underneath. if there's fluid coming out of the rubber boot it's shagged

[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'If you're not losing fluid it'll likely be the master rather than the slave.'

Thanks Alexie, is the master located in the gearbox or is that external?

It's going to a 'reputable' garage tomorrow so fingers crossed! Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The master is in front of the clutch pedal. The slave is on top of the gearbox on diesels so easy to change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To conclude; The garage have advised that i need both cylinders replaced at a cost of £296. They recommended that I replace the clutch at the same time (approx addition £600) as the heaviness may be causing the hydraulics to fail.

I know that a lots of you guys mention heavy clutches on the 147 and GT's and maybe worthwhile not to ignore it?..

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
In other words the garage doesn't know what's wrong so they recommend changing the entire clutch system :cheese: I'm surprised they didn't recommend changing the hydraulic pipework also. Why change both cylinders when it's pretty certain only 1 is faulty ? As for the clutch being heavy it's a known problem which more than likely isn't caused by the clutch itself:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/239672-stiff-heavy-clutch-alfa-gt-jtdm.html

A bit of grease is all that's required ... slightly cheaper than a new clutch.

Changing the clutch seems to be the standard response of most garages to clutch actuation problems which is total nonsense but no doubt makes the job more cost efficient for them. How "reputable" is this garage ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
In other words the garage doesn't what's wrong so they recommend changing the entire clutch system :cheese: I'm surprised they didn't recommend changing the hydraulic pipework also. Why change both cylinders when it's pretty certain only 1 is faulty ? As for the clutch being heavy it's a known problem which more than likely isn't caused by the clutch itself:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/239672-stiff-heavy-clutch-alfa-gt-jtdm.html

Changing the clutch seems to be the standard response of most garages to clutch actuation problems which is total nonsense but no doubt makes the job more cost efficient for them. How "reputable" is this garage ?
My clutch was exactly the same, slave cylinder changed and lubrication as per the stiff heavy clutch thread and it is now like it was when it left the factory!
Many garages say that you will need to change the clutch and also the fly wheel which is B*******!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just had my slave cyl changed as I was having to pump the clutch every now and then to get some pressure. My clutch is a lot lighter now and the gear changes seem smoother. If the clutch isn't slipping is there any need to get it changed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'In other words the garage doesn't what's wrong so they recommend changing the entire clutch system I'm surprised they didn't recommend changing the hydraulic pipework also. Why change both cylinders when it's pretty certain only 1 is faulty ? As for the clutch being heavy it's a known problem which more than likely isn't caused by the clutch itself:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...a-gt-jtdm.html (Stiff/Heavy Clutch Alfa GT JTDM)

Changing the clutch seems to be the standard response of most garages to clutch actuation problems which is total nonsense but no doubt makes the job more cost efficient for them. How "reputable" is this garage ?'

Thanks for the advice. Knowing jack about cars makes this difficult - definitely a learning curve! I have bit my lip and asked the garage to replace both master and slave and to use lubricant! (which i agree is cheaper than a new clutch).

I'll pick it up tomorrow and will find out whether the clutch is still stiff or not and see how it rides. It does seem odd to replace a clutch at 32k miles when it's driven sensibly!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts