Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope no one minds me posting this as thread but just had to say a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to my recent threads helping me after a cam belt failure. Just got home and fitted an ebay relay and she started after 3 seconds of cranking. Just got a warning light saying 'motor system failure' to deal with now, which i hope is just a code to clear ( cross your fingers). So once again everyone, thanks very much for all the advice and patience, couldn't have done it without this forum. bloody brilliant.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Glad its sorted :)
Relays can look the same externally but work differently inside :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hope no one minds me posting this as thread but just had to say a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to my recent threads helping me after a cam belt failure. Just got home and fitted an ebay relay and she started after 3 seconds of cranking. Just got a warning light saying 'motor system failure' to deal with now, which i hope is just a code to clear ( cross your fingers). So once again everyone, thanks very much for all the advice and patience, couldn't have done it without this forum. bloody brilliant.
got a code reader? clear the codes and see what comes up, if anything, then take it from there.

[email protected]

·
Registered
972 Posts
I presume that just disconnecting the battery for an hour or so doesn't clear the code - I know that's worked for me a couple of times in the past with VW/Audi group cars?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Egon and everyone else. Im in Rochester and If your not miles away I might take you up on that offer. When I had the hometune guy come out earlier in the week and couldnt get it going he did say he would come out again once I got it started to clear any new codes for only £10 to cover his diesel. If that doesnt work out I'll get in touch. Ive been reading a few other threads about the motor control system message and the common reason seems to be EGR or MAF so Ill give them clean at the weekend or at least disconnect the MAF first as per the advice Ive read. Ive blanked the EGR with an ebay 9mm hole plate so that could be the cause also. Im hoping its one of those as they arent too sinister.

·
Registered
791 Posts
No power (no throtle response) below 2000rpm (possible MCSF error)
-> usually EGR valve is in stuck open position (there is a guide how to clean it and make it work again: How-to Fix the EGR on a 1.9JTD.pdf )
-> if you physically block the EGR with blanking plate on JTD M-JET or JTDM you will get permanent MCSF error
-> also could be defective MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor (try disconecting the el. connector from MAF and do a test drive, if engine performance is restored with MAF disconected replace faulty MAF with new one http://i34.tinypic.com/1idefc.jpg )

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/232563-jtd-jtdm-mcsf-and-other-problems-fix.html

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Tanis. Brilliant links. Something to read on the train home tonight ready for tomorrows day of fault finding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts