Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 159 has had EGR and DPF deleted and has been remapped by Gus at Alfatune. Recently it's been running a bit sluggish up to 2.5k revs so I've ran it a couple of times (each for a couple of days) with the MAF unplugged and it definitely runs better without it, a couple of questions though:

1. Is this a definite knackered MAF?
2. Will it run better with a new MAF than it is with it just unplugged?

Thanks Kris

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Frommy experience on here the answer would be yes.
The maf tells the ecu how to fuel the car properly .By sensing the air flow and temp. It makes it run poorley when duff as the mesage is incorrect. You should notice a much more smooth and even drive with a replacement .

·
Registered
701 Posts
BUT removing the MAF also puts the ECU into a discrete protection-state so it wont run as well as with & ignores some sensors, so unfortunately its not a guarantee that your MAF is dead..Sorry :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ok so I have obviously mislead you .
Shame that there wasn't a little more idea as to where to start looking for other faults or maybe a clue as to what the maf causes the ecu to ignore so sorry no help .

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacements aren't cheap either, about £135, if it'll run better I'll get one. I'll plug it in to the laptop tomorrow and see if any error codes are thrown up

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
What milage has the car done.
If its been driven in a lot of town traffic there are a couple of things like the DPF but you would nor,mally expect a code of some sort
I know not everybody agrees but if you get some isopropyl spray and spray liberally a couple of times it can help to clean the sensor but dont touch it just let it dry. Dont use anything else as this may add to your problem.
No garantees but has worked for me on a couple of cars. its about £6 on ebay. So wont break the bank. Even if it is a little better your narrowing it down. :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 103,000 miles. DPF was removed over a year ago so it's not that, I'll try cleaning it, cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts

But you said above that the MAF wasn't the issue when Gibot123 mentioned it but didn't offer any alternative advise I'm now confused.
Anyway to the op yes I would suspect the MAF at fault if the drive is better with it disconnected, 1st port of call would be to clean the MAF as suggested above failing that try a known working one if you can get you hands on one before buying

·
Registered
701 Posts
But you said above that the MAF wasn't the issue when Gibot123 mentioned it but didn't offer any alternative advise I'm now confused.
Anyway to the op yes I would suspect the MAF at fault if the drive is better with it disconnected, 1st port of call would be to clean the MAF as suggested above failing that try a known working one if you can get you hands on one before buying
Nothing to be confused about, just showing the (2.4, 210 BHP) MAF can be found for approx. Half of what was mentioned here :)

I´d say 50/50 chance with MAF, what he really need is a dongle & MES, then take a recording of a drive & analyze that (+ offcourse check for faultcodes )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts