Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who may be interested, I did a short write-up of my GranSport's recent tuning, which has been posted on the famous Enrico's Maserati website: Maserati Enthusiasts' Page (about halfway down page 155).

Hope it is of interest :)

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I read it BF :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Very nice work Biggie. Lovely exhaust btw.:D

I have to admit, I've never been sold on the idea of spacers being fitted to widen track. I always thought they added unnecessary loadings onto the wheel bearings/hubs. But I'm no engineer!

Other than that slight reservation, I think it looks ace and I love your Maser! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I am very proud of it :D

Regarding the spacers, two tuners I've checked with both recommended them on the basis of better handling. Also, the track-only Maserati GranSport Trofeos had spacers in them ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Brilliant rendition and great piccies, BF ( loved the underside ones especially:): ) You are a lucky chap BF.:): Now how many ingots for a right hand drive auto? I wish, if only.:rolleyes: Enjoy that Maser mate, she is a beauty.:):

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Also, the track-only Maserati GranSport Trofeos had spacers in them ;)
That more or less clinches it as acceptable then.:thumbs: I must have been mistakenly thinking that for years, no idea where I got it from :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I must have been mistakenly thinking that for years, no idea where I got it from :eek: :lol:
I've heard it too. I think it was that in some parts of Australia you weren't allowed to fit aftermarket rims that had significantly different offsets and/or diameters from those your vehicle came with, incase they might stress the vehicle beyond its design limits (or incase you might be in danger of enjoying owning a car).
Sounds like the Maseratis can easily take that track increase though.

One of my main problems with the look of that shape Maserati is the positive wheel offset (I think that's the term:confused:) especially on the front wheels - the wheel centre seems to protrude further out from the car than the rim and tyre. I'm sure there's a suspension geometry reason for it, but I prefer the dished wheel look you got with old RWD cars.
I wonder if the same track increase could be achieved (at far greater expense obviously) by changing the rims for ones with a different offset? And I wonder what either of these solutions does to the steering?

Once the 4+Mb of graphics on that Maserati page finally loaded, the shot of the front pipes was surprising. Stock one looks like it was repeatedly run over by motorbikes to make it clear the steering rack (?) without sacrificing a millimetre of ground clearance. =|

·
Premium Member
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, total transformation!
Hard to believe it but it is. When I drove my buddy's white GranSport (which does have a couple of performance mods on) back to back with mine, I was really surprised to see how much better mine feels. :thumbs:

Once the 4+Mb of graphics on that Maserati page finally loaded, the shot of the front pipes was surprising. Stock one looks like it was repeatedly run over by motorbikes to make it clear the steering rack (?) without sacrificing a millimetre of ground clearance. =|
It is shocking. The new set up, being lighter and all, just makes a lot more visual sense to me.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Looks and sounds fantastic.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Its not difficult to see why you are smiling in the picture. she looks and sounds great. new exhaust looks great:)

·
Premium Member
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks rodz :)

I want to take a close up photo of the exhaust tips as they look lovely too. Whereas the OEM are rectangularish, the Larinis have a nice tilted oval, upward-pointing shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts