Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

Just wondering if we shouldn't market this forum as the definitive Alfa owners forum at clubs and other websites. There is another site (alfissimosa.co.za) which gets very few posts (possibly because it is dealer-run) and I am sure that this one could allow SA owners to benefit from economies of scale due to everything already being set up.
No offence intended here, but the club sites are really slow in having up-to-date classifieds sections. I understand that most of the work done on these sites are benevolent, but I can't help but feel that communication about useful websites, best deals, up-to-date classifieds, help from other owners could be good.
I had a bad experience with a mechanic where I spent R10000 more than I should have because he didn't measure the head after he had it skimmed. My pistons kept breaking and he kept insisting that I must have advanced the timing. After the third time, I took the head off myself and had an engineer measure it (110mm which is 2mm off the factory mark). I got all my information and some old manuals from an Alfa guy in the States and started to rebuild the engine myself. Time didn't allow me to finish, but it was a liberating experience being able to take things apart and reassemble them getting the same results as the engine builders on the websites suggested.
So far I've serviced my car myself, played with cam timing, been able to prevent catastrophes, replaced brake lines, hunted for parts in Cape Town so I know all of the suppliers, changed gaskets, pulled and reassembled a head and replaced piston rings thanks to some really nice Alfa guys in the States and other places.
If we had local knowledge like this (on an open forum where more people debating and adding to the post would add more credibility), the Alfa owner would be so much better prepared when he is tempted to service his own car or fix an annoying problem without having to spend big money.
At least one could eliminate one of two expensive variables (parts and labour costs) attached to Alfas.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Great post mate. Could not agree more with you. Every person I meet that has an Alfa, I always tell them about these forums.

These forums have helped me plenty during my couple years of ownership, plus I find them informative and enjoyable.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gotta agree with both of you.

i think we all need to lend a hand and make this forum successful.
the arcop forum was alive for roughly 6 months and died a horrible death of non usage(i assume thats the reason as there really was no usage of it)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well guys I must say I believe this website to be a real winner,it has an international base and infrastructure as a start which should help us to enjoy many more years of forum chatting,also me and Eric are both ARCSA comity members and will try everything in our power to keep this forum kicking with club info,events,updates and advice.

In short,as all you guys mentioned,keep on punting the site and getting more people to join in the fun:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Ditto to what Frost said.

The idea was to get more exposure for the club by using this forum, but it has had the added benefit of all you guys from the rest of the country to join in. So, all the clubs are welcome to use this forum, the more the merrier, and who knows, there are bound to be friendships formed...... This international forum has lead to weddings etc. and its a great place to be.....

Don't limit yourself to chats on the SA lounge, I've made some really good friends all over the world through this forum.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
agreed-a start can be to get alfaowner.com/southafrica on the windows of ur cars
will c wat i can do for my club couple of members have joined.trouble is alfas is not popular with youngsters who normaly frequent online forums but all other car clubs have vibrant forums so why cant WE???

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would be more than happy to rock an alfa logo on my car...but on one condition that its a good looking one.

oh yes,slightly off topic how do i register and with whom do i register,is it a local register or international?

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How easy is it to remove the stickers from the car? I belong to the Cape Alfa Romeo club, but as Giuli says very few young guys are interested in Alfas. The average ages seem to be between late 30's and 50s. I'm still early 30s and if I remember correctly, Giuli is early 20s. BTW saw a cream Giulietta like yours today with 17s at Canal Walk this evening. Looked hot!
I think the fact that the Nord engines can't be tuned past 200hp inexpensively turns the young guys off. Ditto the newer front-wheel drives. Did anybody see the Clarkson article in this weekend's Sunday Times about the classic car owner? Laughed my a** off and when I read it to my wife, she gave me a withering stare which became darker the further I read.
Had a flawless run to Ceres and back yesterday - made it too late for the snow, but the drive with the sunroof down was awesome! Only problem is the live rear axle over bumps on country roads - sometimes lose traction when one accelerates in 4th or 5th (believe the Fortuner suffers from the same problem)!
Cab't wait to put my new cams (think they're 282 at 0.050) in when engine is run in. At the moment I'm running the 10548 01's at 102/ 106 for more bottom-end torque and she's running extremely strong right through the rev range. Anybody tried anything different from the 99.5/99.5 or 102/102 for the stock cams on a Nord 2l?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
yo el4romeo hav big plans for my guulietta hows your junior?
stil having engine probs?lol
stickers is a sure way to market this forum.
yes it has to look guud.know of a couple young alfa driverd in E.C theyr known for late nite antics
with 33's and guiliettas!?!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, no problems since I did work myself and changed mechanics. After the last mechanic's work on my car and seeing bent valves on a fresh 30grand rebuilt 75 motor (his other work seems quite good), i decided to learn myself and use another guy who is really quite good. I'm not saying our mutual acquaintance is bad, but after being burnt, I decided the relationship just was'nt going to work. Still have my 110mm head at home as a reminder of how easy it is to make small mistakes which turn out real costly. think I'll put glass on it to make a coffee table..
torqued the head last night after 1000km's - will only have time to put in hot cams and shim accordingly in three weeks time - can't wait!
See you're still having your on-off love affair with Alfa Romeo! For the epitomeic illustration of the ups and downs of Alfa ownership, do a Google on posts by Giuli on Alfissimosa and here - first buy Giulietta, experience problems, fix problem, shout Alfa's name from the rooftops, experience more problems, try to sell. then buy 147, experience problems, fix, ululate, more problems, try to sell again! :lol:!
See you've changed provinces in the meantime - how's Mpumalanga?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
LOL - I think EACH and EVERY Alfista knows how I feel when it comes to ALFA probs!!!

MP is good, pot hole mecca. But all good here, got good job so I'm not complaining...also started a little Alfa Romeo CLub of Mpumalanga - HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT. Have 23 members...orrr...wait I seem to have forgotten how many members I have LOL.

I'm looking at getting either a GTV 3.0 V6 or a 145 face lift at the end of the year. But need to get the Guili back in the condition it is in the photo's...since I LOAN my sister the car its seen better days. Can't wait when I get it back.

Yes it seems that with Alfa Machie's you need to choose wise, as Frost would say, some are good with some things and other's with other things. I'm glad you've WON the battle with the machie thogh!

Hows the runs in CT? Put some pics up dude. And don't worry, this FORUM of S.A is Live and Kicking for real, even if we have to pay to keep it up and running!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts