Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For certain reasons I don't want to attach my SatNav to the windscreen and - since I need it only occasionally - I want an installation that leaves absolutely no marks but looks decent.

As posted some time ago, I found a (as I think) nice method for the 159 in the ashtray area. Because that doesn't work in a Brera, I came up with this one:

I attached two thick nails to a plastic plate (for the suction mount) in a way, that these nails fit exactly into two of the holes in the standard radio. Depending on how deep you press them in, they sit very tight with no rattles.

In my case (LHD) this obscures the cd slot and the eject button, but since I use a USB device for my music, that's not a problem.
I guess in RHD cars that would obscure the mute button, which might be more important?

The more difficult part was the power supply. That cigarette lighter plug sticking out of the middle console is aesthetically not acceptable to me and to detach the socket and place it down under the ashtray would have become a bit complicated.
My SatNav (and I guess most others) has an USB cable to connect it to a Computer. Apart from the transfering of data this also charges the connected device, so I simply plug my SatNav into the Bue&Me USB port!
You can still connect your USB music devices, of course, when you use a USB hub. The cable comes out easily down from behind the clove box lid without getting squashed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I switch the TomTom on, it asks, if it shall connect to the "computer" - so I guess they would understand each other. But since I have not much space on my SatNav, I haven't tried that any further. In fact, I even have disconnected the data contacts (the middle two of the four) in one of the four sockets of my USB hub, which means this socket still charges the device, but the TomTom doesn't think it's connected to a computer (and therefore won't ask the aforementioned question).

To place the cable under the panel is a good idea. Looks good for the passenger. But from the drivers point of view, the simple way actually looks better (nearly no cable visible). :D

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
clever. well done.

:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love the bracket, will someone manufacture and market it.....

Have been looking for a cupholder to carry a bottle of water because I cant find a bottle that's small enough for the centre console A/C cubby hatch

Oh yes, and can you send me a link to the 159 solution (ashtray area) you found, thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the bracket, will someone manufacture and market it.....
... interesting idea :D

Oh yes, and can you send me a link to the 159 solution (ashtray area) you found, thanks
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/131938-my-satnav-where-should-i-stick-it.html#post2028608

... Does the TomTom appear on B&M and allow you to play music files from it?
(My TomTom has a 20Gb hard drive...)
I tested this last week. The problem is that you have to decide if you wanna have navigation OR music:
If you answer the question "connect to computer?" with "yes", you can play music files from the SatNav device but the display will only show the message "don't disconnect ..." and you can't do anything else with it.
If you answer the question with "no", you can use the SatNav as usual but the media player won't recognise the device. :(

N

·
0 Posts

I tested this last week. The problem is that you have to decide if you wanna have navigation OR music:
If you answer the question "connect to computer?" with "yes", you can play music files from the SatNav device but the display will only show the message "don't disconnect ..." and you can't do anything else with it.
If you answer the question with "no", you can use the SatNav as usual but the media player won't recognise the device. :(

Ah! Of course. Shame. :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank you very much for the link with the images

Have cannibalised the ashtry to support my BlackBerry but will have a stab at your solution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts