parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
Marchionne said the continued weakness of imported luxury vehicles
in China has forced a reassessment of FCA's strategy for its
struggling sporty brand.
FCA stands by its plan to boost Alfa's annual global sales to 400,000
in 2018, the CEO said. But a large portion of the volume projection that
had been assigned to China would have to be absorbed by other
regions, including North America and Europe, Marchionne told analysts
on FCA's third-quarter results call on Wednesday.
FCA unveiled in May 2014 plans to invest 5 billion euros in Alfa
including the addition of eight new models.
All of the planned Alfa vehicles will still be developed and FCA will still
spend the same amount on developing Alfa, Marchionne said. But the
new vehicles may come in a different order to satisfy consumer tastes
in Europe and North America and the planned investment will be
completed in 2019 or 2020, he said.
Marchionne said Alfa "still belongs in China" but the volume
projections for the brand there are not achievable under current market
conditions.
Alfa will need to "rejig" its plans to focus on launching cars that are
more ideally suited to Europe and North America rather than China, he
said. The revised sequence likely will be announced in January, he
said.
Alfa sold fewer than 70,000 cars last year, mostly in Europe. Its current
lineup comprises two core models, the Giulietta compact and MiTo
subcompact, along with the limited-production 4C sports car.
The brand's first new model will be the Giulia midsize sedan. Giulia
sales will start before the end of the year led by a high-specification
Quadrifoglio launch edition that will start at 95,000 euros in Italy.
Other new cars under development or under consideration include a
midsize SUV, a midsize coupe, a large sedan,a large SUV, a new
compact family and a roadster.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I don't think that is a bad thing. He is keeping the sales target but will need more sales in Europe and NA. That means more focus on European tastes vs Chinese tastes which can be a little odd.

Reactions: Jays_MiTo

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I don't think that is a bad thing. He is keeping the sales target but will need more sales in Europe and NA. That means more focus on European tastes vs Chinese tastes which can be a little odd.
Agree 100% look at the new 7 series with it's 5 ambient scents and executive lounge

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone please merge with FCA and grant Marchionne's biggest wish

Or hopefully Apple makes a deal with FCA to manufacture the Apple Car and then there's more money available to see Alfa through

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They'll soon be having multiple kids so big cars will be needed.

AR need a people carrier for China. I'm a visionary, the saviour of AR ;)

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
So the Alfa Romeo CashCow then? :confused:

So by 'releasing in a different order', they mean the range will likely be the nearly impossible-for-normal-people-to-get Guilia QV, 4C or the Alfa CashCow? CashCows, crossovers and Captur-crap are the cars that are still 'in' here. How depressing.

Scuppers my hopes. :cry:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Maybe they are at last starting to realise that they'll exhaust themselves with their own exhausts, if they aren't careful?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Was anyone else getting a little concerned by the lack of any more 'real' model news bearing in mind that we are expecting seven (I think) new models in the next two/three years?

On an aside, my brother-in-law has just ordered a new BM 5 series X drive on a three year lease at £320 per month, including road tax. How on earth is the new Guilia going to compete with that, let alone what they are letting the 3 series go for.

Could it be that the slump in the Chinese market means that they are 'dumping' in the UK.

G

·
I'll probably get lambasted for this, but maybe rather than pursue China they should pursue the Hybird/EV route. It is something that cannot be ignored at the end of the day, especially with current diesel scandals etc. Maybe even a collaboration with Tesla?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll probably get lambasted for this, but maybe rather than pursue China they should pursue the Hybird/EV route. It is something that cannot be ignored at the end of the day, especially with current diesel scandals etc. Maybe even a collaboration with Tesla?
Ha, I suggested something like this a while back, but the 'electrical reputation of an Alfa' was the sticking point!!!

G

·
Ha, I suggested something like this a while back, but the 'electrical reputation of an Alfa' was the sticking point!!!
LOL, that was why I suggested a collaboration with someone who has some experience like Tesla.

Also while not a great looker, my Dad just bought a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and I have to say I am impressed. It suits him as all his driving is local so with the 30 odd mile battery range he has hardly used any petrol since he bought it. He just charges it on the economy 7 over night.

·
Registered
40,556 Posts
So the Alfa Romeo CashCow then? :confused:

So by 'releasing in a different order', they mean the range will likely be the nearly impossible-for-normal-people-to-get Guilia QV, 4C or the Alfa CashCow? CashCows, crossovers and Captur-crap are the cars that are still 'in' here. How depressing.

Scuppers my hopes. :cry:
What new potential Alfa were you hoping to buy new to replace your 147 David ?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I cannot imagine the 4C being a car for China.
I would expect that fast SUVs are more cars for China ?
(big status symbols that do well on poor quality roads)
In that case, it would not be a disaster that Alfa makes cars for Europeans and Americans ?
Giulia sportswagon, 4C QV, 6C (a GT couple) would that not be something ???

Hybrid and Electrical cars get all the headlines abut things are not that rosy.
The batteries that go into these cars are horribly expensive to not only produce but also to dispose and while today the manufacturers don't mind floating the bill, this will not carry on forever. FCA is playing the long game, letting others make the first mistakes.

Is Tesla Doomed?
(a slightly exaggerated article on Tesla but the point stands things are not as the headlines go)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have I spotted a mixed message in Marchionne's quote? When he discusses 400,000 global sales does he mean per annum or just the number sold between now and the end of 2018? One target is tough - the other is delusional.
Bear in mind that the UK will have little or nothing in the way of new models before 2017 and sales of the existing range are dropping at the same rate as pigeon poo on Nelson's Column.
Still, Marchionne is the eternal optimist - just think of all the other ambititious targets he has missed in the past. Maybe one day he will pull it off and end up the hero?

(Apologies I must be having a bad afternoon :) )

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We don't even have the Giulia in showrooms yet and he's already talking about revising his 5 year plan..:censored:

Jaguar, Volvo, Cadillac are bringing out cars!! Why can't he??!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts