Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a new Giulietta and it is comming soon. I have a question regarding the NAV system, 6.5" UConnect. It is TomTom that provides the maps but how do I get the updates? do I have to buy them in a TomTom online store or can it only be updated through a AR dealer?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
No you get them updated at the dealership when the car is serviced. There are no updates for it though. I took ownership of my car in September and have maps from July 2014. They are inaccurate especially if it comes to speed limits. This is very disappointing I have contacted AR in October but after a couple of weeks they came back and said they will not commit to the date for an update.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ditto what bartekluk said, a total waste of time as the maps and speed limits are all wrong due to the lack of updates. New speed cameras dont show for example so no warning when approaching them. Surely at least an annual update of the maps should be possible. The "good" NAV companies update their maps every month/quarter.

EDIT - Wouldnt it be nice if we could update the maps ourselves? Hardly rocket science to do via a USB stick.

Reactions: andypj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is not good! I have TomTom mobile and it is often updated. I Have sent the same question to AR in Sweden, interesting to se their answer. It must be solved so we can buy and download the maps on your own. Navteq has a special software for PC that do this. I also think TomTom has the same system.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I have had a long running dialogue with TomTom who were insistent that the maps could be updated by the owner. Eventually they conceded that the only way updated can be made is by the dealer. This is because the Head Unit is mapped into the body computer and any updates are done through the body computer! So lets hope they fix it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been in touch with the dealer who explained that the maps can be updated via "Uconnect Live" which is available from the App/Play Store iPhone and Android. They pointed me to this Website https://www.driveuconnect.eu/en/frequent-questions#1

I was so pleased as it is driving me mad being told that the M23 has limited access because there were road works in 2013 when the Maps were installed. Unfortunately, my attempt to upgrade has been unsuccessful. :furious: I am going to have to approach the dealer again and see if I can get a result.

Please try particularly if you have an iPhone as I was using my son's Android which was supposed to be compatible (I use a Microsoft Phone which does not have the app).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Uconnect LIVE services are activable on the following vehicles enable:

- Fiat 500X
- Fiat 500L
- New Fiat 500
- New Lancia Ypsilon
- Jeep Renegade

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Evening all
I have now been driving my new Giulietta QV LE for a week, and it is magnificent in every way. There is however one small issue
the satnav units are in miles and yards. Does anyone know how to change that to the metric system?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ditto what bartekluk said, a total waste of time as the maps and speed limits are all wrong due to the lack of updates. New speed cameras dont show for example so no warning when approaching them. Surely at least an annual update of the maps should be possible. The "good" NAV companies update their maps every month/quarter.

EDIT - Wouldnt it be nice if we could update the maps ourselves? Hardly rocket science to do via a USB stick.
Variava in Nottingham have said they can send it on a USB when they have it (shortly). Will let you know how this progresses...........

·
Registered
18 Posts
At last I am pleased to report that I have a Sat Nav with maps, traffic management and speed cameras that can all be updated. Unfortunately I have had to accept that the Uconnect 6.5 Inch unit will never get updated and I have have had to accept the offer from Alfa Romeo Customer Services to contribute to a new TomTom.

As much as I am really grateful for the support that I got from the Customer Services team I am still very disappointed that I will never be able to use the built in unit. It was particularly useful to have the unit reducing the volume of music to give directions. I have gone for a TomTom Go 6100 as it has lifetime map updates, traffic and speed cameras forever.

Ignore anyone (including the dealers) who tells you that can get maps updates in the UK for the Giulietta 2.0 JTDm-2 sportiva "NAV" TCT and other cars fitted with the Uconnect 6.5". You can't at this time and it appears that it is unlikely that you ever will. I believe that the have ironed out the problem in the latest Giulietta, they get all of the services we were supposed to get with our cars (Traffic, speed cameras and map updates). I will certainly be more careful buying a car with a built in Sat Nav in future. Look how awful the car looks with another device plugged in. :depressed:

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
The words p155 p00r spring to mind. :depressed:

·
Registered
37 Posts
At last I am pleased to report that I have a Sat Nav with maps, traffic management and speed cameras that can all be updated. Unfortunately I have had to accept that the Uconnect 6.5 Inch unit will never get updated and I have have had to accept the offer from Alfa Romeo Customer Services to contribute to a new TomTom.

As much as I am really grateful for the support that I got from the Customer Services team I am still very disappointed that I will never be able to use the built in unit. It was particularly useful to have the unit reducing the volume of music to give directions. I have gone for a TomTom Go 6100 as it has lifetime map updates, traffic and speed cameras forever.

Ignore anyone (including the dealers) who tells you that can get maps updates in the UK for the Giulietta 2.0 JTDm-2 sportiva "NAV" TCT and other cars fitted with the Uconnect 6.5". You can't at this time and it appears that it is unlikely that you ever will. I believe that the have ironed out the problem in the latest Giulietta, they get all of the services we were supposed to get with our cars (Traffic, speed cameras and map updates). I will certainly be more careful buying a car with a built in Sat Nav in future. Look how awful the car looks with another device plugged in. :depressed:
Hah! Well that looks a bit off-putting alright. I will check with my local dealer and see if I can get map updates.

·
Registered
336 Posts

It's a real shame about getting stuck with that!

But, well done on getting them to pay for a TomTom.

In your position I would push hard, and get them to als fit in the MyPort socket in place of the Top Dashboard compartment. Or at least get a power source added there so the wiring doesn't look messy. Maybe then it wouldn't look as bad?

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's really disappointing. I've MY14 jtdm business edition with this system so have been watching the thread with interest. Is it not possible to replace the entire uconnect unit with e of the new 'sorted' ones?

·
Registered
21 Posts
no result

I have just taken delivery in March of a new QV line. At first I thought that I could update using the app but it would never connect to my car. I raised a query with AR customer services who told me that, despite what the UConnect website says, it was not available in the UK yet for AR. They said it was hoped it would be part of an upgrade in the autumn. As a result I am still using the TomTom with live traffic i owned before. I am really disappointed in this as I asked a specific question about the satnav before purchase. The QV is a wonderful car though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have just taken delivery in March of a new QV line. At first I thought that I could update using the app but it would never connect to my car. I raised a query with AR customer services who told me that, despite what the UConnect website says, it was not available in the UK yet for AR. They said it was hoped it would be part of an upgrade in the autumn. As a result I am still using the TomTom with live traffic i owned before. I am really disappointed in this as I asked a specific question about the satnav before purchase. The QV is a wonderful car though.
It appears that AR are still using the same advice/excuse as with the MY14 cars, as I was also told that everything would be working with an update due out sometime in the future, but 2 years on and it's still not been fixed (although I was fortunate enough to reject my car for this and other Uconnect reasons).

·
Registered
410 Posts
This all sounds like the satnav built into the 159. Map updates were years apart and the legal way to purchase was around £120.00. Worst part was lack of a postcode facility. Presently trying to fit a 5" Mio as neatly as possible. The socket on the dash looks promising if I can figure out the wiring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts