Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric Aerial has just decided to stop going up and down correctly.

I saw one posted on another thread that was from Maplins and it was £25 odd

Has anyone used one and is it any good?

Cheers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I installed one from E-bay, just for £25. It have been working fine for last 18 mo.

There is only small problem with installation, because the supporting frame for original is different.

But 30min job and new aerial is fitted.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I fitted one of the maplins aeriels to my spider and it works brilliantly. Easy enough to fit and looks pretty good:)

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Guys.

I will have a go at fixing my one but if I have no joy I'll buy one from maplins.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
symon, i still have my defunct original ariel in my shed, if you like i can bring it to the world record attempt so you could butcher it for parts or just use it as a dummy run to see what is inside? let me know and i'll chuck it in the boot. :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
symon, i still have my defunct original ariel in my shed, if you like i can bring it to the world record attempt so you could butcher it for parts or just use it as a dummy run to see what is inside? let me know and i'll chuck it in the boot. :thumbs:
If you could mate that would be great. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Our Maplins one got slightly bent (it is quite a bit longer than OE) then burnt the motor out.

It seemed ok but we went for an internal one in the rear window to solve the problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both my gtvs were the same when I bought them, spray the old one with WD40 then clean all the black crud off and it should work fine .

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both my gtvs were the same when I bought them, spray the old one with WD40 then clean all the black crud off and it should work fine .
I have already tried that. :(

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Our Maplins one got slightly bent (it is quite a bit longer than OE) then burnt the motor out.

It seemed ok but we went for an internal one in the rear window to solve the problem.
What make is the internal one, does it work well?

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you use an internal Aerial what do you do with the hole left by the electric one?

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The trouble is my car has really good paint, and I don't really fancy getting it sprayed.

I think I will just get a new twig from maplins.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Probably best, you have metallic and it is difficult to get a perfect match, that said i saw a repair on Rammys silver metallic GTV the other day and it was spot on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone have a how-to on this? Is it easy enough getting the maplin aerial secured despite the different mounts, if so what would i need for the job?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't had chance to look at mine yet, but it looks like a straightforward swap. I can't see you needing much more than a spanner, screwdriver, and a terminal block or two TBH.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i had to make up a little bracket when i replaced mine. had a meccano like length that i bent and bolted to the original mounting. job done.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts