Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '10 MiTo about 8 (I think) months ago from an Alfa dealer. That dealer installed a pants Pioneer Sat Nav system before I bought it and it keeps not working. :cry:

Do any of you awesome AOers know where I stand on getting it replaced/repaired by a different Alfa garage under warranty?

I would have a go at repairing it myself, but I don't fancy dismantling my dash while the rest of the car's under warranty :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
sorry to bring you bad news but i would think its an aftermarket system fitted so only manufacture for the stereo would be your warranty not sure if pioneer give a 1 or 2 year warranty keep us updated cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks to be me then... :(
I think I'll phone them tomorrow and see if they can or want to do it for free :lol:

If it's not installed properly (I suspect a loose wire), I would've thought it would be covered by the dealer warranty - I reckon it was installed by a chimp judging by the mess made of the panels in the driver's foot-well.
I'm too lazy to read the full extent of those booklets to find out though... :rolleyes:

However, if the unit's knackered, I think I'll go back to the old unit and my old Garmin :lol:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
To be fair, the panels in the drivers footwell dont ever go back together properly.

Take it back to whomever fitted it, but ICE warranties are usually only 12 months.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I assume that you have tried the original dealer?

If someone sold you anything dodgy (or with a dodgy part) you surely have the right to go back to them and query it

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I believe that under the sale of gods act the RETAILER is responsible for the repair or replacement not the manufacturer. Your Alfa dealer is the retailer. Start fiddling with it yourself and you may void any claim. The warranty is a "good will" gesture from the manufacturer, nothing more, do not start dialogue with the manufacturer; being only 8 months old it is a blind alley.

Start talking to your retailer and make a note of every conversation and when it occurred - it is all essential evidence to building a claim. Your retailer is very likely to point you to the manufacturers warranty; do not fall for that your retailer has to deal with it.

It is also worth reading up on European legislation on electrical goods. There have been a huge number of instances where computers (particularly laptops) have failed while just a few years old. In these instances it has been found that certain brands have had inherent defects and our Europrats (on this occasion) come up trumps as for a lot of this type of goods the European law make the manufacturer responsible for 2 or even 3 years - that is regardless of what the warranty says!

Do some reading here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Yourconsumerrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_182935

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take it back to the dealer, but the dealer I got the car from (and who fitted the Sat Nav) is in Newcastle.
My local Alfa dealer is Swindon. - and even that's 30-odd miles north of where I live!

The problem with it is that it just completely stops working intermittently. No lights, sound, screen - nothing. It seems to just lose power completely.

I'll phone the Swindon guys and see if they can help at all - They seem to be pretty good in my experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out Swindon no longer do Alfa Romeos :(

Reading told me to contact the Newcastle dealer to find out where they got the unit - if it was an Alfa Romeo supplied part then they can repair it under warranty, otherwise I'm going to have to get it done at my own cost.

Turns out Pioneer have a 1 Year warranty - and mine's 6 months out of date :(

Waiting to hear back where the unit originally came from *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
ChunHall: the "warranty" as I have stated is a gesture of good will. Do some reading on EU regulations this type of equipment may be covered by their regulations and have a 2 or even 3 year "guarantee" from the retailer. The fact that your retailer is in Nottingham is a bit of a bugger though.

If it intermittently goes dead it may be a loose multi plug connection as there will be 1, 2 or even 3 multi-plugs behind the unit to connect it to the car. It might be worth ringing or popping in to your local car stereo supplier (Sextons?) and asking if they would have a quick look at these connections. That will not affect any guarantee and should be a relatively quick job.

The Reading Alfa dealer (Portman Road? - I am doing the railway bridge works on Cow Lane) is probably a completely different franchise to the Nottingham branch so for work that is not covered by Alfa Romeo themselves there is no mechanism for financial recovery from the other dealer so they won't touch it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Warranty Schwarranty.

The Newcastle Dealer has failed to reply to me at all. Even if they did, I highly doubt they'll come back with an answer that'll please me.

As a result, I'm going to first attempt to climb behind the dash and poke around at some wires. Failing that, I'll just take it to the garage-next-door and take the hit.

Firstly: does anyone know of a good place to start trying to get behind the head unit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All done. I think... :cool:

I was right - It was in fact installed by a chimp.

Some plastic connectors were loose/broken, some wires were bare and I connected the Blue&Me USB socket (negating the need for the ugly hole drilled through the glovebox and giving me a spare 1.5 metre USB extension lead).

Only thing now is the original mic; does anyone know if the Blue&Me mic has a standard aux plug? Then I can plug in that and remove the ugly aftermarket one. I couldn't find a spare aux plug behind the dash anywhere :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
good work - glad you got it sorted

when you mean behind the dash do you mean the central console/behind the CD/radio?

if not have a look behind there and there's power options. (use the standard 2 prong stereo removal tools)

had a parrot handsfree kit installed by a chimp who managed to get a job in halfords. - had to re-wire it myself of course as i foolishly thought he knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turns out it wasn't fixed, it just worked briefly. :mad:

I suppose I do mean the centre console, but I've extended my exploration sideways too. I popped off the front fascia, then used single-prong keys (which a mate "borrowed" from a Halfords employee stupid enough to lend his tools) that pushed in either side of the head unit. I also popped out (I mean wrenched out) the glove box to give me more room so I could push it from behind as well.

I have no idea where the problem may be now - it still shows symptoms of a loose power cable (losing/gaining power over harsh bumps thanks to an unforgiving suspension), but like I said before, all connections have been taped together.

I've left the front fascia off and glovebox (plus light) out for now and will have another crack tomorrow. I probably didn't reach the end of the seemingly never-ending wiring loom, and still can't find an OEM microphone aux :/

Going to get a 3.5 mm stereo auxillary extension lead (headphone extension lead) to run through to the glovebox tomorrow as well so I'll (finally!) have aux-in a well as USB-in!

Wish me luck.
Help/advice gladly received :)

I'll start a new thread for this as it's changed subject quite dramatically :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts