Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

On the market for a 147, and wondered which is the best gearbox to go for.

Manual or Selespeed?

I have done some research, but figured its best to ask the actual owners, than speculate on 'test' reviews.

:cool: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a selespeed. People will no doubt tell you it's one more thing to go wrong, but I love it. Try and test drive one of each.

I think I'm right in saying the sele is only on the 2.0 model

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm going for the 2.0 model, as the difference in insurance between 1.6 and 2.0 is £25.53 :)

Is the change smooth with the selespeed?
What about when using the paddle-shift?

Only ever 'been in' one car with selespeed (Merc AMG) and it was actually very smooth.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
it would seem that one of the most expensive reliability issues with the 147/156 are related to sillyspeed. perhaps it's in those cars that are not maintained well, and miss servicing or where shortcuts are taken. not really sure.

however, if the sillyspeed actuator fails, that can mean an AUS$3000~6000 repair (whatever the equivalent in UK$ is).

we mostly hear of sillyspeed faults, but rarely of manual transmission faults. perhaps 10:1 or more.

personally, when buying secondhand with no long term warranty, i'd go with a manual for peace of mind. sure, the clutch can wear (but so too in the sillyspeed), but there's no actuator and hydraulics like the sillyspeed to contend with!

i will always warn my friends and family against buying sillyspeed. can be a sure way to break their heart and never by another alfa.

note, the GTA sillyspeed is somewhat different, and more reliable. and perhaps facelift 147 models are also better. but still, the underlying design and wear and tear remains.

:)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
My old mans actuator in his sillyspeed is mullered and I its going to cost a pretty penny to get fixed. Thats why its has been parked up in our garage for the past 2 months because its not really worth repairing:rolleyes:

Sillyspeed suck, stick to what you know:D

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
The 2 litre was available in Manual gearbox form. Although initially the 147 was launched as 1.6 manual and 2 litre Selespeed.

I wouldn't have one personally. They can go wrong even if the car is well maintained and they tend to be expensive when they do.

I also do like the way they drive, but others do. The best advice would be to try one.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you look at my other posts on this subject you will see I owned a silly speed for a year. :eek:

Apart from false neutrals when rolling into a roundabout (puts foot down, vroooooooom from engine, no additional forward movement, stuck halfway on roundabout until revs drop!) it was very good and reliable.

So much so, that when I bought the car I joined the RAC! :lol:

Would I buy another? :wow:

NOPE! :cheese: :cheese:

My nerves would not stand it. :rant:

Wondering! "Errrrr Will it let me down? Is today the day?!" :cry:

Paulus

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If it goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way ! but I drive one for 6 years now and suffered a broken clutch release bearing after 120k
(which can happen on a manual too !).
Will I go for yet another Sele ? probably not, the Mito comes with manual only !:) but paddle shift is the way to go , look at other performance cars and you see why ! even F1 uses paddles
and Rally cars as well !

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I don't want to spilt hairs Rarebear, but F1 cars now use seamless shift auto gearboxes. The paddles are there to select neutral or to release the clutch for starting. ;)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I don't want to spilt hairs Rarebear, but F1 cars now use seamless shift auto gearboxes.
"Seamless shift" is just a different type of synchromesh.
They are still a single clutch automated manual gearbox (like a Selespeed).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whilst holding on tight to every piece of wood in sight......

My '99 156 sele has done 97k and we have had a few fights, but I would deffo have another one.

If only to hear the throttle blip on the downshift!.......

The main problems are caused by low oil levels.

check the oil weekly, then you will see the level begin to drop and can get the seals seen to before the car lets you down.

Mine havn't needed doing yet, but I'm sure they'll start letting by soon.

It's a hydraulic system, and the seals do wear, if you're the kind of person that doesn't check the oil from one srvice to the next, then get a manual, if you don't mind a bit of routine maintainance, go with the sele, it's a great drive!!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
The Sele I drove didn't seem very seamless. :D
I dont think they are either, I could do a far smoother shift in my manual:D

i loved driving my selespeed, so much fun............until it broke last night
Sorry to hear so mate I hope you get her sorted and then GET RID!!:lol:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
i loved driving my selespeed, so much fun............until it broke last night
unquote
can you elaborate ? what broke ? there are a zillion ways a car can break....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah, I'm going for the 2.0 model, as the difference in insurance between 1.6 and 2.0 is £25.53 :)

Is the change smooth with the selespeed?
What about when using the paddle-shift?

Only ever 'been in' one car with selespeed (Merc AMG) and it was actually very smooth.
I doubt it's as smooth as the Merc. Sele shouldn't be considered to be like an automatic, in fact I hate it in City (full auto) mode as I can never anticipate the gear change. It's a joy to drive with the paddles though. Think of it as a manual without a clutch pedal rather than an automatic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts