Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took my alfa for a long trip this weekend (around 1,300 km of awesome driving around North Island of New Zealand) However, I found two issues
- It was eating oil at the same rate as petrol (almost)... :p I think I solved that after som research - I used 10w40 rather than 10w60 during my last oil replacement. I'm planning on draining it tomorrow and replacing it with castrol edge 10w60. It ate just over 1L of oil.

Also, on 5th gear at around 3k rpm it makes a whiney noise (similar to the one when you reverse). It only happens when you keep it constant on 3k rpm. It is not so apparent on 4th gear and cant hear it at all at on 1,2,3.
Also car seem to have a very small leak (between engine and gear box). I never see any drops of the ground however I see the bottom of the engine a little bit wet. After some research I found it could be gear box? (yes no?)
I though it would be a good time to replace oil in gearbox since I its quite possible it hasn't been done since new. Few questions I have though before I attempt anything:

- Is there a dip stick?
- Is there a filter?
- Any way of checking the level?
- Should I just top it up or fully drain it and refill with fresh?

Pics would be really useful since I'm not familiar with all the buzz words :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
30,084 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No

No

At the fill flug (front of box near reversing light switch)

May as well drain and refil. It is only 2L of GL5 spec synthetic 75W90.
Found two plugs. I don't have allen/hex key that is big enough for both. So I'll have to postpone this change till next weekend. Where is the drain plug?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts