Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoons.

New to Alfa, just picked up a 2002 147 2.0 TS. Pretty sweet car, very different to my previous Saab 9-3 Aero, but fun none the less.

One of the small niggles I’m having is the gear change. It’s on the original clutch by the looks of the SH having covered the equivalent of about 42K (I’m an ex-pat in Aus so have to work with KMs now)

The clutch has a nice low biting point, so I don’t think it’s overly worn but sometimes when going into reverse, it will grind/crunch in. Also, the gear change can be notchy, which gets pretty annoying when doing a town run as we have a lots of straight roads intersected with what feels like a million other straight roads, with traffic lights mostly on Red.

I’ve read a bit on here (a great resource BTW) about some plastic ball-joint at the bottom of the stick causing this, but I can’t decide if my symptoms match what I’ve read. The stick is generally ‘springy’ enough but something in the linkage feels odd, or at least that’s how my mind is interpreting it.

Any input most welcomed.

(Apologies for long post, enough detail? :lol: More niggles to follow soon)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The clutch shouldn't really bite low, it should be midway in the pedal travel. If its low then you most likely have a slave or master cylinder problem. A high pedal would indicate a worn clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts