Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BBC News - Sainsbury's apologises to mobile customer refused service

Well, I would buy the cashier who refused to serve someone whilst they were using a mobile a drink or two. What appaling rudeness to chat away on a mobile whilst someone is trying to serve you. If the conversation could not wait, finish the conversation and then go and get served. Perhaps that woman and others will think about such things in future!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Ms Clarke sounds like she's a four asterisk....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I sincerely hope the cashier has NOT been disciplined. This is one of my pet hates. What can be so important that someone has to be using their phone while supposedly interacting with another person. It applies everywhere not just in supermarkets. I have seen people paying cash over the counter in the bank while using their phone and the teller having problems getting their attention.

On a conected issue am I correct in believing that mobile phones should be turned off while refuelling a car? If so does this apply to all phones including those of passengers who remain in the car?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
There was talk of the static from a phone sparking an ignition while someone is refuelling...

Can't see that being an issue for those within the car...

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
i had to take a call at the service desk of John Lewis the other day, just as i was asked if they could help, i apologised that it was an important call and to crack on serving the people behind.
When i finished i apologised again and then sorted out my collection with them, smiles all round..

E

·
0 Posts
If I worked on the checkout I wouldn't last long. I would wait until they finished their call then pick up my phone and make a call or pretend to and make them wait :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
As far as I know, nobody ever turned off the phone integrated into their car (like the system in the Alfa 147) while refuelling.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
The no phones while refuelling was to do with the risk of the phone being dropped. If the battery popped out it could potentially spark. So it is not the actual call but the risk of carrying and dropping the phone.

I think.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Half a story.

Was the customer not putting her stuff on the conveyor or not packing whilst she talked on the phone and thus delayed people behind?

In any event it is imo it just plain rude - you are dealing with a fellow human and to dismiss their presence because you are talking to someone who you think is more important is inexcusable.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one gobsmacked by this shopper's rude and selfish attitude. The fact she complained just accentuates what a self-centred person she is. If it was just "a quick call" to let her brother know she was on her way then she could have waited until the transaction was completed, or she wouldn't have been on so long as to have made a song and dance about the assistant waiting for her to finish.

It is comical that she was being rude but has complained about the assistant!

M

·
0 Posts
The no phones while refuelling was to do with the risk of the phone being dropped. If the battery popped out it could potentially spark. So it is not the actual call but the risk of carrying and dropping the phone.

I think.
That makes sense.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Lady - please do the person at the till the courtesy of giving them your attention, or are you happy if they too are chatting on the phone whilst trying to serve you?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Fully with everyone else that the complainer needs stoning.....or at the very least needs to learn the definition of "rude"....in her case that she exemplifies it!

As for the "mobile phones cause fires in petrol station" nonsense, IIRC mythbusters set up a test in a caravan with umpteen open cans of petrol and a number of mobile phones - even with them all rung at once, the caravan stubbornly refused to burst into flame.........more's the pity ;)

I once had a car with a faulty starter, so I kept it running when I wanted to refuel. Filling station operative refused to operate the pump "because the sparks from the engine could ignite the fuel".....I pointed out that it was a diesel, and that if any car was restarted there was much more likelihood of the spark from the starter brushes igniting any vapours than there was from my car doing any harm....but it made no difference....so i drove on until I found a garage where I could bump-start it!

·
Registered
37,599 Posts
Re mobiles and petrol stations read this

http://www.kent.ac.uk/scarr/events/finalpapers/burgess.pdf

It is a very well researched and carefully considered paper on the subject

It's a long article but you will be able to sneer and froth with rage at idiots telling you the world is going to explode because the 12V 5KG battery in your 'phone scraping against the metal side of your car will unleash a shower of sparks, igniting the petrol station, several innocent children and, ultimately, the whole of mankind.

:rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Fully with everyone else that the complainer needs stoning..!
I think the fact that she not only complained to the store, she complained to a newspaper too should mean her stoning should be upgraded to a public machine gunning. And it should be filmed and posted on youtube with her own phone to deter others.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I heard she was going to change her shopping habits to Waitrose! Hmm, maybe I will have to switch to Sainsbury's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts