Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
Maybe it is a clever strategy...

Someone comes in looking for an Alfa. but doesn't like the Giuliette or the Mito.

They can then say "How about one of these".

I don't mind some Citroens, the C4 coupe was a good looker and the C2 VTS does appeal to me as a fairly Nippy car with reasonable fuel economy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a C2 VTS! - Followed by a C4 VTR+ in the past!

I brought my Alfa from Magnoletsi and had no problems?(so far!) - They got a bad reputation? I would of thought somewhere remote like that wouldnt last 5mins without word of mouth recommendations its not exactly somewhere you drive past day to day

Lee

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
They used to have a really good reputation as far as I know. I have ordered parts from them through the post and they were very good.

however I get the impression that their standards have slipped.

·
Registered
33,162 Posts
Maybe it is a clever strategy...

Someone comes in looking for an Alfa. but doesn't like the Giuliette or the Mito.

They can then say "How about one of these".

I don't mind some Citroens, the C4 coupe was a good looker and the C2 VTS does appeal to me as a fairly Nippy car with reasonable fuel economy.
Or even a person comes in to look at a Citroen DS five door thing and realises the equivalent Alfa is better and not just because the rear door window actually opens . They might buy the Giulietta .
The C2 stopped production in 2009 but the DS 5 is good though and it may be stocked new.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
If the quality of their second hand stock is as good as the red Spider for sale at SAD I'll give them a miss.

Full of stonechips on the bonnet, they couldn't even be arsed to valet it before they sent it disgraceful :tut:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They'll be doing thier own special editions soon.

The C2 Stetson edition. The C4 lassoo edition. Free spurs & chaps for every purchaser:lol:

R

·
0 Posts
:)

On a serious note this is quite telling.

The fact that ARUK are content for their dealers to operate as multi-franchise single site operators punting volume brands alongside ARs is another reason why Alfa will continue to struggle in the UK to be perceived as a genuinely premium brand and why 30,40,50+ £K Alfa Romeos are doomed to either fail over here or never appear.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
If the quality of their second hand stock is as good as the red Spider for sale at SAD I'll give them a miss.
Nothing changes there, then! My last Alfa had allegedly been through their "166-point check"; too bad they missed minor details like knackered front suspension, worn tyres, sloppy gearchange, etc!

The fact that ARUK are content for their dealers to operate as multi-franchise single site operators punting volume brands alongside ARs is another reason why Alfa will continue to struggle in the UK to be perceived as a genuinely premium brand and why 30,40,50+ £K Alfa Romeos are doomed to either fail over here or never appear.
Other premium brands sell alongside volume makes with no problems. You don't get to be a "premium" brand by telling the world you are one, you do it by delivering premium quality . . . dare I say it, like Citroen is doing with the DS range?

I can't understand what all the fuss is about Mangoletsi selling Citroens. It's nothing new - they "sold" me a Citroen three years ago! :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Other premium brands sell alongside volume makes with no problems. You don't get to be a "premium" brand by telling the world you are one, you do it by delivering premium quality . . . dare I say it, like Citroen is doing with the DS range?

I can't understand what all the fuss is about Mangoletsi selling Citroens. It's nothing new - they "sold" me a Citroen three years ago! :lol:
I'd have to disagree with that I'm afraid.

Audi, BMW, Merc , Lexus, Infiniti are all sold from standalone premises. Yes the dealer groups might operate other franchises but the individual brands are sold from dedicated one brand showrooms with consistently high, and frequently monitored, centrally dictated brand standards. I believe that the manufacturers stipulate this.

JLR are the only premium brand I can think of which share space and again it's only with each other and each showroom is very clearly divided in Jaguar and Land Rover.

As for the delivering quality vs telling people, it seems that Audi have done a very good job of this in recent years.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I'd have to disagree with that I'm afraid.
Could have been worded better - when I said "alongside" I meant on the same site, not necessarily the same showroom.

The problem with dedicated showrooms, "brand image", etc., is that they increase overheads; when you're not selling big numbers the cost per vehicle is proportionally higher.

Mangoletsi has, of course, been selling Alfas & Fiats from the same showroom for a long time, although when I was dealing (if that's the right word, more getting told to sod off) with them was that they weren't really taking Fiat seriously - just a couple of cars tucked away in a corner of the showroom, although that was a few years ago when Alfa had more than two models to offer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts