Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been hesitating and driving like a dog for the last week or so. Also an enthusiastic 400 mile round trip to see the family in South West Wales had me worried I had worn my brake pads to destruction. Meanwhile having got stuck in the snow half a dozen times had taken its toll on the clutch which is now biting lower.

So today I was booked into Mangoletsi in Knutsford to see what needed sorting, bracing myself for an expensive day.

The hesitating and general poor drivability was diagnosed as a blocked EGR valve. My car still has a six month Auto Protect warranty so Mangos called them to approve replacement of the part.

Auto Protect refused on the grounds that there was no 'sudden mechanical failure'.

Parts and labour were weighing in at around £240 plus VAT if I recall correctly. After some deliberation with the girl on the desk, Ken appeared and magnamously declared that Mangos would cover it as goodwill. :)

Whats more, the engineer working on my car advised against replacing the clutch as he reckoned there was still plenty of life left in it. Whilst the quote for parts and labour for changing the pads was excellent value, he also stated whilst Mangos were happy to replace my brake pads, he reckoned they were still only about 40% worn and had a good few thousand miles left in them.

Considering that Mangos have carried out quite a lot of work on my car as goodwill already I am delighted that they supported me further in this way today. Furthermore to get such straight talking honesty regarding replacement of consumables is commendable and refreshing!

Conversely the Auto Protect warranty has not been worth the paper it is printed on. My car has been back in to the dealer on four or five occasions to have faults sorted and every time Auto Protect have stuck two fingers up and said they won't cover the part or fault.

Thankfully Mangoletsi have delivered first class aftercare and sorted each problem out as gestures of goodwill. Exceptional considering my car was a used purchase and three years old when i bought her.

When it comes to time to change my car I will not look anywhere else. I really cannot praise the dealership enough. I got a cracking deal on my car, finance at a very low rate
and friendly support ongoing from all the staff, especially John and Ken who clearly want to support and encourage the enthusiast market for modifying and developing the cars.

My previous experience of main dealers has always been negative, until now... If anyone is looking for an Alfa at the moment then I urge you to call Mangoletsi.

Thank you for all your ongoing support Mangos, you are a credit to the brand and the Alfa community! :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
+3 - great to hear of another dealership not ripping off the customer :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Great that you've got all the work covered, however are you not worried about the reason for the blocked EGR on what is a relatively new car? Could I possibly suggest that the fuel mix might be a little on the rich side?

You could of course get your EGR switched off and then you'll never have a problem with it again :thumbs:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well done Mango's....

Wish I was near them.. I came back from my local dealer last Saturday where they basically refused to look at potential warranty work as I didn't want to service my car with them at the same time! I basically wanted to make sure that their £389 service was good value for a 1st year service! Although they do a GOLD service for cars out of warranty for £189! What are they missing in their GOLD to justify such a big difference?

To be honest, if they had done the warranty work the chances are I would have got them to do the service anyhow! I just need to find myself another dealer now to sort out my problems!

G

·
Well done Mango's....

Wish I was near them.. I came back from my local dealer last Saturday where they basically refused to look at potential warranty work as I didn't want to service my car with them at the same time! I basically wanted to make sure that their £389 service was good value for a 1st year service! Although they do a GOLD service for cars out of warranty for £189! What are they missing in their GOLD to justify such a big difference?

To be honest, if they had done the warranty work the chances are I would have got them to do the service anyhow! I just need to find myself another dealer now to sort out my problems!
You know that you can take it to a indie and they can do you a service don't ya? I believe they have to use OEM parts :)

Depending where you are, have you tried Pro Alfa in Watford? or maybe Autolusso?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep.. That's why I didnt want them to do the servicing. The problem is that an indie can't do the warranty work and they refused to do it if I didnt get them to service the car. They said that they don't make as much money on the warranty work!

I'm sure ARUK would not appreciate this type of customer service! But do they really care?

G

·
Yep.. That's why I didnt want them to do the servicing. The problem is that an indie can't do the warranty work and they refused to do it if I didnt get them to service the car. They said that they don't make as much money on the warranty work!

I'm sure ARUK would not appreciate this type of customer service! But do they really care?
I think you will find the dealer is wrong, they must honour warranty work if the car has been serviced according to schedule ( by any VAT registered garage using genuine parts ) trading standards need a call on this one I think :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great that you've got all the work covered, however are you not worried about the reason for the blocked EGR on what is a relatively new car? Could I possibly suggest that the fuel mix might be a little on the rich side?

You could of course get your EGR switched off and then you'll never have a problem with it again :thumbs:
The guy that worked on the car said EGR valves getting blocked is a common fault. He actually reckoned I was pretty lucky mine had lasted 36k before giving up. I expect the mods hastened the valves demise a bit.

He suggested that it is quite simple to clear the valve of carbon deposits, but once cleared they tend to block up quite quickly again and it was made more sense just to replace the valve completely.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The guy that worked on the car said EGR valves getting blocked is a common fault. He actually reckoned I was pretty lucky mine had lasted 36k before giving up. I expect the mods hastened the valves demise a bit.

He suggested that it is quite simple to clear the valve of carbon deposits, but once cleared they tend to block up quite quickly again and it was made more sense just to replace the valve completely.

sorry that sounds like dealer speak to me (they all do that sir), my car is still on it's first EGR and has done 130k ... as I said get the thing switched off as you don't want to be changing it every 36k ...

G

·
sorry that sounds like dealer speak to me (they all do that sir), my car is still on it's first EGR and has done 130k ... as I said get the thing switched off as you don't want to be changing it every 36k ...

Only you could find fault with good service from a main dealer. :tut:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris, must you really find fault with everything they do? Your continuous tirade of defamatory comments about Mangoletsi is getting quite tiresome.

Mango's engineer's comments seem in keeping with peoples experiences on the forums. I have heard of EGR valves failing on a number of members cars.

Why would they unneccesarily change a part at their own expense? Either you are implying:-

a) Mangoletsi deliberately sought to mislead me, or
b) Their engineers / mechanics don't know what they are doing.

Personally I find either of the above hard to believe...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Only you could find fault with good service from a main dealer. :tut:
Basically John your technician implied that EGR valves are consumables, this is simply not the case if they break it's either

1. down to a fault with the valve itself (and as such should be covered under warranty),
2. by long term wear and tear (in older cars)
3. because too much soot is being passed through them (possibly a problem somewhere else in the car).

James is correct that other forum members have had EGR faults, however many have successfully claimed on their warranty for these, and haven't had to rely on "good will gestures".

I didn't set out in this thread to cause trouble as I know how sensitive you are, but anyone who says it's "normal" for EGRs to be replaced at 36k is simply wrong.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Blocked EGR's are very common on the latest FPT 1.9 Diesel engines.

All over the Fiat, Vauxhall & SAAB forums too.

If you search for EGR in the 156/147/GT or 159 area you'll get tons of hits.

Fairplay to Mango's for stepping in and picking up where the warranty company wouldn't:thumbs:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well done Mango's....

I thought they were all supposed to use menu servicing; 1st service £280. Alternatively go to Simply Alfas in Stourbridge £130.

Mangos are good though. They fought tooth and nail for me with ARUK on some warranty issues.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically John your technician implied that EGR valves are consumables, this is simply not the case if they break it's either

1. down to a fault with the valve itself (and as such should be covered under warranty),
2. by long term wear and tear (in older cars)
3. because too much soot is being passed through them (possibly a problem somewhere else in the car).

James is correct that other forum members have had EGR faults, however many have successfully claimed on their warranty for these, and haven't had to rely on "good will gestures".

I didn't set out in this thread to cause trouble as I know how sensitive you are, but anyone who says it's "normal" for EGRs to be replaced at 36k is simply wrong.
Chris,

Why are you so quick to try and make this a personal attack on John now? Anyone would think you have an axe to grind?! :confused:

I am annoyed that Auto Protect refused to cover the part, although on reflection their comments (and the experiences of many owners on the forums) only go to support the view expounded by Mangoletsi's technician. EGR valve blockage is a common fault on the diesel cars and will naturally occur over time.

Therefore in a roundabout way it could be considered a wear and tear issue (not to mention a bit of a design flaw).

So once again thanks to Mangoletsi for stepping in and fixing it as a matter of goodwill. I hardly see why Mangoletsi would replace the part uneccessarily at their own expense?!

Now lets talk about what you really want to steer the conversation to (yet again).

Remaps good! Mangoletsi mod bad! :lol:

Whether you go down the remap route or the tuning box and boost pressure mod route, I think we all accept that in doing so we will be reducing the life of certain consumables. If my car's current set up means that it has hastened the demise of the EGR valve then so be it. In fact I am sure I recall reading a few stories of EGR valve failure on member cars shortly after remaps had been applied too. To be fair I have been running my current set up for around 6,000 miles now and I am not reserved about pulling hard in the gears when conditions permit.

Your attitude within this thread just seems to further suggest that you have a vendetta against Mangoletsi for some reason and are obviously completely against the spirit of the topic, which was to commend Mangos and the continued exemplary service they have provided me with. I would hardly say I am overly sensitive, you are the one who seems to get up on your high horse wherever Mangoletsi is concerned and i am sure I speak for many others when I say it is getting tiresome.

Your closing comment then, is that Auto Protect, Mangoletsi's technicians, me and all members who have replaced blocked EGR valves that have been fitted for 36,000 miles or less are wrong and you are right?!

You should work for Alfa Romeo mate, maybe you could teach them a thing or two... ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Blocked EGR's are very common on the latest FPT 1.9 Diesel engines.

All over the Fiat, Vauxhall & SAAB forums too.

If you search for EGR in the 156/147/GT or 159 area you'll get tons of hits.

Fairplay to Mango's for stepping in and picking up where the warranty company wouldn't:thumbs:
I'll just to add to that list, exactly the same issue with the diesel in the Rover 75/BMW 3 series and some minis, car totally unmodified and run on decent fuel. EGR is a nice idea if you've done 130,000 miles and not felt any effects you are in the minority.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
anyway ... yes EGR faults are 'common' but in no way could you consider it 'normal' for them to go pop, James you are obviously happier to spend £290 every 36k replacing yours in which case fair play to you, personally I would not be happy with that and I'd either get to the bottom of the problem (after all you were told that the performance mods you've had done may be the root cause) or do something about it ...

I know you've got the **** ache with me, but please consider getting your EGR switched off that way you won't need to worry about it again :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts