Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this earlier tonight and have posted it on to everyone I know locally. I am not afraid to admit I am dead against this whole road charging scheme as I cannot get the TIF Figures to add up and the amount of money being spent promoting this whole camapaign is really getting right up by effing arse.

Also the local and only Manchester Evening Newspaper seems totally in the pockets of the Pro group which is unsurprising considering they shove their free advertisng daily rag in the hands of every bus and tram commuter possible (Full Page Adverts from the TIF Group and Editorials) it stinks almost as bad as a Tory and Labour MP drinking cocktails together on a rowing boat in Corfu!!!! Someone somewhere is lining their pockets with Public Cash and we are all paying for it.

It will also mean that my wife, my son and I will cop for about £4,200 in charges at their current rate between us. The wife has used public transport during these last three weeks on and off and the two buses and a train cost £7.00 a day and an extra 2 hours longer in travel time. The car cost £23.00 a week if you take the fuel and the road tax into consideration. She has no problem with congestion and never has done unlesss there has been roadworks or a tram closure or accident.

If I knew any of your telephone numbers I would pass it on to you so here is my effort on behalf of and towards the "Power to the People".

MANCHESTER CONGESTION CHARGE CLOSING DATE FOR YOUR VOTE 11 / 12 / 2008. I will vote ''NO'' and I am proud of it and I hope you will toooo? PASS IT ON TO EVERYONE. Vote ''NO'' TO THIS TAX ON THE PEOPLE OF MANCHESTER. Just think this will be your most cost effective text ever.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I'll get caught using either the A580 or M62 going to work everyday, although I might only just venture inside the boundary. I'm not bothered about central Manchester because I don't work there but this tax is not going to improve the throughflow of traffic on these main arterial roads, so what is the point of it? Load of b******s.Grrrr

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I live about 25 miles North of Manchester, so I don't get to vote, but will have to think about when I do deliveries into the zone.

My mate who lives in Bury reckons that the "unbiassed" info pack from Bury Council was just promoting "yes".......and was so biassed that he's now determined to vote "no":mad:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
too right richard, it was very 'yes' biased - and that's from bury council who were one of 3 boroughs to reject the proposals, i'd hate to see the stuff the likes of oldham & rochdale were sending out :eek:

the worst one i saw was north west tonight who decided to run a story (as their TOP story, no less) about how crowded the trains were in greater manchester. no specific thing had happened, they just decided to run it on the day the c-charge ballot papers were sent out (oh what a coincidence that was...:mad: ) bunch of bloody communists at the bbc :lol:

anyway, i voted a resounding NO. why should i get taxed £1200 a year just for going to work? public transport is an almighty pain in the arse option from where i live, whereas the car is a piece of p*ss, and cheaper than public transport too.

but the telling thing is, our beloved govt. has already said that a majority 'no' vote doesn't mean the charge WON'T be brought in. in other words, we're getting it whether we like it or not. democracy my arse :mad:

·
0 Posts
Got my ballot paper the other day, am voting NO - simply to reject another 'tax'
I regularly have to visit various sites in Manchester, but I can avoid the charging times luckily

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Last time I was up in Manchester, at Maine Road for a Concert, I would have willingly paid to get OUT of the place !!!!!!.......

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
as someone who will be starting to work in Manchester from January and will have to cross both lines 5 days a week at peak time, if I could vote it would be NO!

The peak times are unfair 7-9.30am and 4-6.30pm :eek:

90% of people won't pay - so that means 90% of the problem is within the inner area and the 10% that come into the city are being penalised?!?! or am I missing something here?

If this goes ahead I will have to use the overcrowded and frequently late trains that run from my town :(

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
there's lies, damned lies, and statistics. the '90% won't pay' stuff is utter nonsense - it includes children, pensioners, the unemployed (plenty of them in manchester) and existing public transport users, and also includes people who live and work in the satellite towns (ie. altrincham, wigan, bolton, bury, rochdale, oldham, ashton & stockport).

of those of us who work in manchester (not just the city centre, but ANYWHERE in manchester itself), we're all gonna have a big price to pay. working in central manchester during normal working hours will cost us £1200 a year in tax congestion charge:mad:

for the residents of bury (like myself) there will be no improvement as we already have the tram so we will be the forgotten town who pays for everything and gets nothing in return.

but let's make no mistake - this has nothing to do with congestion or the environment - it's about squeezing money out of us

if it does come in, it will be the biggest congestion-charging zone in the WORLD:mad: the original london one was 11 square miles. manchester's will be 80 sq miles:rant:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
just tell them you are in favour, as it keeps the poor off the roads and allows you to drive even faster.

That should put a stop to it.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
correction Al, Londons was 8!!! and then it doubled :eek:

other than that I am with you.

11th Dec is the day is it not?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
yep, 11th dec is the day they announce that the govt is to ignore the landslide 'NO' vote and go ahead with the scheme anyway.

i thought part of the reason we paid road & income tax in the first place was to pay for roads, trains etc? obviously i'm just stupid and aren't intelligent enough to understand how paying £1200 to go to work is for MY benefit :confused:

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Just filled in my ballot. Put it in the NO box.

Still can't get around the 90/10% split of who pays.

As I read it 10% of users will pay 100% of the cost?

I don't work within the zone, but have to cross over the M60 (at Denton island) to cross over it again to get to work....will I have to pay, or use a rat run of narrow residential streets to avoid the charge?

I'm sure my boss will be pleased if I ask for 0930 starts every weekday, or a pay increase to compensate.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I tend to think that the planners have been a tad greedy here. I cant see why they should levy a charge for traveling to say Prestwich, which is just inside the M60 zone, it would have been far more logical had they opted for a charging zone within the inner ring road ie to charge drivers using Deansgate etc this is where the real congestion is, although TBH its no way as bad as London.

I also think that road pricing is here its only a matter of time before its forced on us; tax neutral dont believe a word of it the Mcr scheme isnt.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Odd thing is I RARELY go to Manchester by car.
I live 1/3 mile from 2 train stations that have an every 20min service to Manchester Piccadilly, costs about £2.50 return.

I'll only travel by car if I have to collect someone, or carry something that cannot be carried or accomodated on public transport.

My sister, who works in St Anne's Square, drives to the station and goes in by train.

I have to travel throughout Gtr Manchester at all times of the day, Deansgate and Ancoats seem busy AT ALL times, and there seems to be quite a bit of road works that cause bottlenecks where 2 or 3 lanes merge into 1....

Denton Island (M67/M60 junction), USED to have 2 lane roads for the entrance from A57 (Hyde) and to A57 (Hyde), that has been cut down to a PERMANENT bus lane towards Hyde and 0700-0930+1600/1900 towards Manchester (as well as the Belle Vue Bus Lane all the way to Ardwick).
How does this ease congestion? Do I now jump on a bus, knowing it'll hit 2 lines of traffic merging into 1, TWICE within 2 miles of each other?

Looks like some traffic planners are creating congestion, obviously not to get money of some poor sops to 'cure it'.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
yep, just like red ken changed the phasing of all london's traffic lights to make congestion worse - just to make his c-charge look more acceptable.

the same has been happening here lately - loads of 2-lane roads being reduced to one eg bury new road and manchester road in bury. both very wide main roads which were 2 lanes in either direction for years without any problem, recently reduced to one in parts just to p*ss motorists off:mad:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | C-charge advert ruled as biased

This just matches with some pet project near me, that went through on appeal. I know some people that works with these types of projects at my local Council, both trendy young graduates, possibly quite bright and they travel the country looking at what other projects are doing. And we had Livingstone bigging up the Congestion Charge so it can be exported around the world.

I dunno, it all seems to dovetail with raiding Damien Green, and bears no relationship to our position in the vanguard of ramming democracy down the throat of the rest of the world.

How can we be figting two conflicts abroad to introduce democracy whilst eroding it by the day here?

I think Brown's lead will soon be cut. The VAT cut hasn't been well received at all, and it'll achieve next to nothing.

All this guilt pedaling over the environment gets me axe sharpening mad. If I wanted a guilt trip I'd have got religion. When we travel it's bad, but when they do it it's good?

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I don't know anyone that has voted Yes. My vote went off within 24hrs of getting the ballot papers.

It is a complete con. More tax and you just know they won't deliver the infrastructure improvements before the tax starts up.

Note also the asterisk on the fee? "At 2008 prices" - or was it 2007? I've binned the pamphlet now.

An extra £1200 or more in tax x two if you are a couple working in diferent parts of the city.:mad: Joke.

And all this borrowing of billions they keep talking about...while there is a credit crisis....why do they think the motorists should pay?:confused: Why don't they improve the services; let the users pay for it I say. If it is as good and efficient as they say there'll be no shortage of customers.:confused:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
too right jim. we both work in town (mrs al at salford quays) so will get hit with £2400 a year extra in tax:mad:

why should the motorist have to pay for all those who use public transport to get some shiny new buses & trams? i wonder if their bus fares are going to go up by £1200 a year each to pay for some nice new bypasses and to get all the potholes filled in on our roads? :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts