Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man Time today involved flushing out the old coolent and replacing the coolent reservoir.

My original one has completely perished and has lots of little cracks all over it which I ignored. I noticed some coolent loss and steam coming out of the bonnet when in traffic so had a closer look and there was a deep split in a T shape!

Very easy to change and makes the engine bay look brand new :-D

Sent on the back of an AA truck Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

Think i spent about half an hour flushing the old coolent. I filled the reservoir with water, ran the car for 30 secs and then pulled off the bottom drain pipe leading to the block and emptied the reservoir before refilling and doing it again.

Think I did it 8 times before the water turned to a normal colour and then I fitted the new reservoir and added new coolent.

I got It on ebay for £35 brand new with a new cap also. Coolent is the higher quality 5 year Halfords stuff.

I can now be calmer in traffic without fear of it exploding!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Nicely done. While replacing my cambelt and water pump etc I decided to flush the coolant a few times over. The colour of the coolant was a horrible brown. Like something of a bog.

The coolant tank does make it look much nicer. Reminds me I need to actually put some anti freeze in mine since i've only filled up with water.

Does take an alarming amount of flushes to get the brown stuff out though.

Theres a joke in there somewhere...

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
I just removed the coolant tank, and connected the garden hose to the lower hose in the car. With the engine idling, kept a continous (slow) waterflow going....

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Good tip I'll remember to try that next time round. Remind's me of when I clean out the parents house radiators every couple of years. Dad's obsessed with heating effciency.

In reality his just tight.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crap that came out smelt like house radiator water, that stagnant 'off' water smell lol.

Thought about connecting a hose but was too scared or breaking the water pump or causing an air lock if you don't get the flow rate perfect.

I tell you what, you dont half learn alot about cars owning an Alfa. Didnt need to know how to do anything with my old car :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts