Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Mito has developed a strong sulphur smell which comes from the Engine Bay. Parked at traffic lights with the engine running and windows open it can be a bit overpowering. She has the heating permanently on re-circ.

It may be connected but when driving with DNA set to sport it gives out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust, but not in the other two settings. The engine also takes an inordinate amount of time in winter to warm up (up to 25 minutes), summer is not so bad.

Any ideas? (2010 1.3 jtdm Lusso, 35k miles on clock)

·
Registered
278 Posts
A (stupid) question: do jtdm's have a catalysator? If they do, low engine temperatures can be the cause of the smell. The cat might not reach operating temperature.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same car and the white smoke is the car doing a re gen ie cleanig soot from the DPF filter.It may just seem it is only in Dynamic mode.I guess your wife is only using the car for short runs which modern diesels are no good for.The sulphur smell is probably to do with too many incomplete re gens.Basically take it on a long run and give it some welly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts