Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 57 years old. When I was 17 I always bought Levi jeans as they fitted my body shape better than most others. In those days they did odd sizes - I was a 27" waist. Over the years they dropped the odd sizes but I carried on buying Levis because they felt right. For the last 30 years or so I have always bought the 30" waist size - they still fit. Lately I have been buying cheap trousers for work from Tesco - again a 30" waist fits me well.

Today I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror after a shower - not a pretty sight as I am twice the man I was (NO - not in that department). I haven't weighed myself for a few years but I was 8 1/2 stone at 17 and reckon I am between 11-12 now.

So I thought - how come I weigh, probably, 1/3 more but have only gained 3" around the waist? So I measured my waist with Liz's handy tape measure which was to hand. It is 36" in reality.

My point - do they lie about sizing (even to us MEN) to make us feel better?

·
Administrator
60,101 Posts
They lie.

Sizes have come down to make us feel better. I was a size 10-12 (in patterns) as a teenager, I'm the same weight and size now and can buy size 2, 4 or 6. It depends on the manufacturer. I have given up on the sizing and just pick out clothes that look like they are the right size.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They lie.

Sizes have come down to make us feel better. I was a size 10-12 (in patterns) as a teenager, I'm the same weight and size now and can buy size 2, 4 or 6. It depends on the manufacturer. I have given up on the sizing and just pick out clothes that look like they are the right size.
I have met you - you are tiny - and they lie to you too?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I lose and gain weight to fit into the clothes that are already in my wardrobe. Saves buying new clothes, and as clothes styles go in and out of fashion and come back round again, it's working well for me!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I am very overweight (used to be 11.5 stone until an illness kicked in - no, not eating all the pies :lol:) at around 14.5 stone, but I can still wear clothes marked "large", and they are not tight, whereas, I would have expected them to introduce a new range called - Large, Extra Large, Mildly Obese, Obese and Eat less or Die!
Sadly, they do seem to becoming more "PC" nowadays, and it will not help matters, if people cannot face the truth.

V

·
0 Posts
really does depend on the maufacturer. i bought some g star jeans 34 / 32 massivley to big in both leg and waist yet 501's are spot on in that size. when i bought a new suit last year had to have 36 waist ???

jeans in my wardrobe range from 32/32 to 36/34

anyway im off to hammer some nails into some wood and be a man again!!!!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Interesting that you used to get 27" jeans Paul - I wonder if we should have a competition for the skinniest Alfa Owner? I'm 22 and am a 28" waist, hehe

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting that you used to get 27" jeans Paul - I wonder if we should have a competition for the skinniest Alfa Owner? I'm 22 and am a 28" waist, hehe
That's the way it was in 1969 - I have 'photos that make me look positively anorexic. Then I could (just about) fit into my first wife's jeans - her waist was 22". I had to breathe in very hard mind.

Skinniest Alfa Owner - good idea - why don't you start a thread?

E

·
0 Posts
I have a double problem with jeans. First off I admit I am a bit of a bat fastard these days, but on top of that I am short at 5' 6"

I need to buy 32" waist jeans, but every pair I have tried are too long, even the short ones.

It is annoying because ultimately I am not that fat at 12 stone, and not that short either :(

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a double problem with jeans. First off I admit I am a bit of a bat fastard these days, but on top of that I am short at 5' 6"

I need to buy 32" waist jeans, but every pair I have tried are too long, even the short ones.

It is annoying because ultimately I am not that fat at 12 stone, and not that short either :(
We sound similar. I am 5'6" too and weigh somewhere between 11- 12 stone. I find that 29 or 30 leg fits me.

E

·
0 Posts
We sound similar. I am 5'6" too and weigh somewhere between 11- 12 stone. I find that 29 or 30 leg fits me.
Yeah that is what I go for, but as they seem to vary so much. I tend to go for next jeans as they are not too expensive and seem to last well as I wear jeans all the time, including work. But I have some pairs I need to turn up else I am walking on them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The thing with mens jeans as opposed to womens is that men ( as a general rule) wear their jeans around their hips . men tend to put on quite a bit of muscle( which weighs heavy) when they get past the gangly 17 year old stage and what fat they put on is usually around the belly area hence being 1 third heavier than you were when you were 17 but still having reasonably fat free hips and legs. of course the downside of this is that one does not actually have a waist just slim hips and tend to look like a wok smuggler:lol:

Incidently this body shape( low hip measurement in relation to around stomach) is actually proven to be more unhealthy than the man who is a lot heavier with a stocky build and may have a bigger measurement around the stomach but hip and chest measurements closer in relation.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Incidently this body shape( low hip measurement in relation to around stomach) is actually proven to be more unhealthy than the man who is a lot heavier with a stocky build and may have a bigger measurement around the stomach but hip and chest measurements closer in relation.
So - I am an unhealthy wok smuggler - cheers rodz.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
So - I am an unhealthy wok smuggler - cheers rodz.
jut reread my post Paul :eek:no offence intended :lol:

Just pointing out something that suprised me when i found out that waist/hip/chest ratio is now used as an indicator for tendancy towards heart desiese in men.

if its any consolation i have the full Ken Hom :eek:

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jut reread my post Paul :eek:no offence intended :lol:

Just pointing out something that suprised me when i found out that waist/hip/chest ratio is now used as an indicator for tendancy towards heart desiese in men.

if its any consolation i have the full Ken Hom :eek:
No offence was taken at all - just a horrible realisation.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
34/36 depending on the outlet (Next 34"/River Island 36") 5'11" 13st (have dodged too many salads this year, put on 1st in 12 months, depsite going the Gym / Cycling 4/5 times a week) - add that to your profile collection Kurzon :p :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts