Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, my sis celebrates the 25th anniversary of her 25th birthday.

To celebrate this, I’d like to create a playlist of the songs she liked from her yoof.

With music these days being scattered on this device, that device, or on a CD, on a tape, on YouTube etc, the old days of doing tape to tape compilations are long gone. So how do you do this today? How do I get 20 songs or so on a CD or a memory stick or something?

As with all things, I favour simplicity here, but anything you can suggest to guide me would be ace. I have three months to mess this up, so let’s get planning :)

Cheers gang :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Who apart from your sister will be listening to the songs? If it is purely for her to listen to then you could put them all on a MP3 player or go full on old stool retro with a cassette and Walkman. If it is something that you want to play during celebrations then making up a CD might be an option or something like Spotify allows you to make up playlists and ‘save’ them so you can play them without a WiFi connection. Downside with Spotify is you lose your playlist when you stop paying and the playlist will be linked to your account not hers.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nelly. Mercifully, mainly my sister :) guess I’m leaning more toward a CD or some sort of memory stick so she can play it at home or in the car, or perhaps export it to her laptop or phone or something. Ideally I’d like a permanent solution; not something that will vanish or become inaccessible on the whim of a service provider changing its ts&cs ;-)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The other question is... what format(s) can she listen to? I have hundreds of CDs but can only actually play then in the car or through my Blu-ray. Another option depending on how mainstream her taste in music is... a readily available compilation from back in the day. The Now series have been going since the 80s I think.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, Nelly. I think CD maybe they best format. I don’t think a complication album will quite hit the spot; I want to add specific tracks and compilation tracks can be a bit hit n miss on that front. Good thinking though :)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda related... Am i alone in thinking - and regretting - that it seems chuffing tricky these days to make a flippin’ Play list?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I spent a while putting my whole CD collection onto the PC on the form of MP3 files.....then backing it up to the cloud to prevent doing it again in the event of terminal PC failure.. Now its easy to put whatever tracks I want on a Cd (why??) or a stick or an MP3 player for running etc etc. Im always changing whats on the USB stick to get a different selection in my 159 via the Blue and Me in the glovebox...(max 1000 tracks in a 159 as I found out the hard way!!). Easy as you like.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
How? Copy any tracks you already have from CDs to your PC or laptop; download any new tracks at 99p a time from Amazon. Put 'em all in one folder, then burn a CD on your PC. (Assumes your PC has a CD drive...)

Do not on any account:

go full on old stool retro
You cannot record onto an old stool and it will smell dreadful.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How? Copy any tracks you already have from CDs to your PC or laptop; download any new tracks at 99p a time from Amazon. Put 'em all in one folder, then burn a CD on your PC. (Assumes your PC has a CD drive...)

Do not on any account:

Oooh, thanks Sterzo. That could be the solution. I’ll share this idea with my bro in law. Do we need a CD burner? Can you still get these things?

Actually... can I outsource this project? Who does this kinda stuff? There must be someone I can send YouTube tracks to to illustrate the tracks that I want captured than can do the leg work for me. After all, why have a dog and... ;-)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
It’s for bog standard recording... none of your new fangled MP3 malarkey. Nothing like the good old days of making a mix tape when all you had to worry about was taking up the slack with a pencil and hitting record just as the song starts on the radio.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Oooh, thanks Sterzo. That could be the solution. I’ll share this idea with my bro in law. Do we need a CD burner? Can you still get these things?
If you have a Windows PC with a disk drive, you can do it using Windows Media Player, which is already on your PC. You don't need anything extra. Like all things, it can be slightly confusing at first, but you get the hang of it after a few minutes.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers man. I’ll look into this. Want you as first line tech support please ;-)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You must be desperate. One question one maybe shouldn't ask a lady is: how old is her CD player? If it's ancient you might have to download some software, but assuming it's from the last decade that shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dunno.

Why is this **** now all so complicated? Jumping through techno hoops to gift someone some music memories from when they were young. Wasn’t like this before.

If I could find the now hidden button for it, I’d hit rewind :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can help with this, if you let me have a list of songs I can source them and burn them to a CD for you.
Do you want a standard CD that will hold an albums worth of songs or an MP3 disc that will hold many more songs, her CD player would need to be able to play MP3 discs for that though.
Feel free to pm me if you like...

Paul

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can help with this, if you let me have a list of songs I can source them and burn them to a CD for you.
Do you want a standard CD that will hold an albums worth of songs or an MP3 disc that will hold many more songs, her CD player would need to be able to play MP3 discs for that though.
Feel free to pm me if you like...

Paul
Oh gosh. Paul, you are a gent :) Pm to follow, sir. Thank you :)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a great update for you here, gang! (y)

The AO Emergency Response Crew swung into action, and thanks to Paul’s/pw2112’s exceptional kindness and generosity with his time, I now have in my hands a CD with my sis’s fave tunes on it. She will be chuffed to bits with it. As well as a massive thank you to Paul, I should also apologise for subjecting him to the songs I sent him:)

Paul - you’re a superstar, and you will play a big role in putting a smile on my sis’s face on her birthday.

Thank you for all of your help, sir! :cool::cool::cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts