Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1.4, 95bhp MiTo and absolutely love the car. I just want more power from it. I can't afford to upgrade to anything faster but I've got the money to do it up. I'm wondering if anyone can give any suggestions as to how to make it have more bhopal and torque while the dynamic settin will remain useable?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've fitted a K&N panel air filter, but can't say I've noticed any difference from that, but I fill up with super fuel most of the time and that makes the car feel more lively and gives it that little push up hills. Having filled up with them all, I find Tesco Momentum to feel the best and give the best mpg, that's if you can get any at the pump at the mo, so not a mod, but worth paying a few pence more at the pump. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
A feel the exactly the same as you, just been to a track day with a few of this forum on friday and the car was amazing through the corners but needed a little more for the straights. A 156 v6 and an audi a4 2.0 tdi couldnt take me lol. Ive fitted a k&n and use 99 ron fuel like mitomatt and there is a small difference. I think an exhaust system and remap should get you close to an extra 10bhp but its gunna cost. :(

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
induction kit, exhaust system and remap cost about 1500 but you will see a big difference

G

·
It's quite difficult to get any meaningful performance boost from a 1.4 non-turbo engine. I would consider saving the pennies and eventually upgrading to a TB Mito - possibly with higher mileage to make it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
ah didnt know it was a NA engine. Then yer dont bother with any mods to that car. save up untill you can get a turbo version

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Mito01: Mito 95 is 0-60 somewhere between 11.6 and 11.8 seconds and top speed of just over 110mph depending on what magazine you read. The 2.5 156 0-60 is 7.1 or 7.2 and a top speed of over 140mph depending what magazine you read.

The Mito may be lighter and possibly a bit more nimble but there must have been something seriously wrong with the 156 power, suspension or driver (possibly all 3) if he didn't leave a 95hp Mito in his dust.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the 1.4, 95bhp MiTo and absolutely love the car. I just want more power from it. I can't afford to upgrade to anything faster but I've got the money to do it up. I'm wondering if anyone can give any suggestions as to how to make it have more bhopal and torque while the dynamic settin will remain useable?
I've tried a few things with a 1.4 on a 500 and after having a quick look on line there does not appear to be much in the way of performance parts for the MiTo 95bhp.

£41 (4 x £10.18). Change the sparkplugs to Denso Iridium tough VXU22. If these don't give any extra power (would expect 1-2bhp) they claim to improve mpg by 5%. Gap that these come with is 0.8mm - you have to widen the gap very carefully (done with a pliers) to 1.0mm to match the standard fit NGKs.
Sparkplugs UK NGK Champion Denso Sparkplug, Glowplug and Lambda Sensors
£29. K & N Air filter. Cotton gauze is the best filter for 'performance'. Does not filter as good as paper or a 'dirty' ITG foam filter. Expect 1-2bhp. Check ebay should include free P&P.
£150 - £50 (Homemade). GSR induction kit. Very difficult to get (Pete at CPH). It is possible to make your own on the same design as the GSR. Check out torqueitalia.net under 'GSR Induction'. Expect 5-7bhp. Note that if you are going though deep 'puddles' it's advised to take it off. IMHO the best modification but you would need to inform your insurance co. (very obvious modification).
GSR induction kit !
£110. Pipercross do a custom made CAI one for the 500. Can't see any reason what it would not fit on a MiTo. I bought this for a 500 and liked the induction noise it gave. Very little if any bhp improvement and concerned that the filter was not doing it's job since it was not of the same quality as the ITG cone filter which can be bought separately.
£800-900. Port & Polish. LAD Motorsport did this along with a Supersprint & then a Janspeed performance manifold on a 1.4 500 and they claimed to get the car up to 130bhp. Common modification in the US but very difficult to get a guy who knows how to do it in the UK/Ireland. Expect that the head work along with a skim to raise compression would give around 10-15bhp.
Larton Engine Developments Ltd-Home
Auto Italia Magazine - Shops
Hotter Cam. Don't know much about this. One would opt for the Port & Polish OR the hotter cam but NOT both. Reckon around £500. Not too sure of the bhp but it would affect the 'low down'.
Performance manifold. The CAT in the 1368cc engine is in the manifold and restricts power. Supersprint & Janspeed do a performance manifold and the Sports Cat 100cell or 200cell is placed after the manifold - you can buy a 'generic' one to keep costs down. Better bhp mid-range. Expect around 5bhp. May involve a re-map. Did not see a performance manifold listed for the MiTo so it might be different to the 500. Supposedly increases mpg.
c.£85. Replace the centre silencer with a custom made straight through exhaust along these lines (Guess 1-3 bhp) ....
Ragazzon Stainless Steel Centre Pipe without Silencer Group N
Expect more noise in the car on the motorway.
Re-map. I don't know if the ECU on the MiTo is locked. It is locked on the 100HP but it isn't on the 500. Some have made claims on getting gains on re-mapping but I'm dubious unless the breathing or the 'exhaust' or both has been done. One guy with a 500 1.4 got around 12bhp with a GSR & a re-map.

On a separate note I would be dubious of the benefits of paying extra for higher octane fuel on a NA engine. The only MiTo that benefits from higher octane is the 155TB or a re-mapped Multi-air.

As pointed out by previous posters it's hard to justify spending money on a NA engine if you can put it into upgrading to a Turbo charged model like the 155TB model with the Brembos & a 6 speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you can try to chip the car, i know someone who has a 156 sportwagon 110 hp, chipped it and has now 150 hp i don't know how it works in the uk or cost but in belgium it costs 500 euros and you can remove the chip and place it in a other engine if you plan to buy a other car and you don't have to report it to your insurance but then again i don't know how it is in the uk.

G

·
you can try to chip the car, i know someone who has a 156 sportwagon 110 hp, chipped it and has now 150 hp i don't know how it works in the uk or cost but in belgium it costs 500 euros and you can remove the chip and place it in a other engine if you plan to buy a other car and you don't have to report it to your insurance but then again i don't know how it is in the uk.
Chip-tuning won't make anything like that difference in a NA engine, 5-10% bhp gain is the most you can hope for.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
K&n

First thingss first help the engine breath better. I fitted a K&N racing cone in place of going for a std pankcake filter. The performance diff was noticable immediatly and the boost came in a lot quicker. but i have noticed something after doing this the car is now a lot faster in the higher rpm range and in all weather mode in second and third gear the car pull so hard after 4000rpm. much faster than in dynamic....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just realised that the OP with the 95bhp MiTo is at an age where it's quite likely that his insurance would not entertain a modded car.

i dont know if its any good, but PRICE :eek::wow:
Not really a fan of the 'plug in' chip when the boost is 'doctored'. One side effect of these chips is the 'excess' torque produced which impacts the gearbox 'life' whilst a re-map allows the boost to come on a bit later to reduce the toll on the drivetrain. Some cars e.g. the 205GTI has a boost inhibit in the lower gears - this isn't possible on a 'plug in'. TMC do a price competitive 'plug in' chip unlike the one posted. In addition producing more boost requires higher octane fuel which is not always readily available in some countries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts