Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go faster in my Alfa 156. Its a 10v 2.4JTD, remapped by Angel Tuning. What is the most cost effective way of increasing my power and acceleration?

Some suggestions I've had so far:

- Carbon Dynamic Airbox with a straight pipe to replace standard airbox, filter and unneccessarily bendy air intake pipe.

- Remove the spare wheel and anything else not bolted down to reduce weight (don't think this was a serious suggestion though! :rolleyes: )

Does anyone know anything that could help? Something that will not destroy the clutch/gearbox/transmission etc!

I can't really afford a new 20v, plus I've raced one in a straight line and we were pretty much neck-and-neck (although his isn't remapped)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dan

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Do 1 & 2 together. :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a CDA in my last car...it ended up being the reason it died as it let water in which cracked the head gasket :(

For the such little performance gains I wouldn't go down that route again...I'd probably go for a panel filter, it does the same job at a third of the price and is so much easier to fit.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You should use Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 diesel fuel additive and their fully synth XFD Diesel engine oil, I also have a 206 2.0HDI Dturbo, and that's been run on their engine oil and fuel additive since brand new, and touch woood, now woth 71000 miles since March 2003, the car is sweet as a nut and the engine runs just like it was new! My 147 JTD is running on XFD 5-40 and I also the fuel additive at every fill up - The fuel additive increases the cetane value of the fuel by 4 points - just like increasing the octane level of petrol!;)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
dhillon said:
You should use Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 diesel fuel additive and their fully synth XFD Diesel engine oil, I also have a 206 2.0HDI Dturbo, and that's been run on their engine oil and fuel additive since brand new, and touch woood, now woth 71000 miles since March 2003, the car is sweet as a nut and the engine runs just like it was new! My 147 JTD is running on XFD 5-40 and I also the fuel additive at every fill up - The fuel additive increases the cetane value of the fuel by 4 points - just like increasing the octane level of petrol!;)

Hi Dhillon,
Sorry to say but the only improvements that upping the cetane will give you are possible improved starting when cold and possibly slightly lower emmissions during the warm-up cycle (depending on the actual additive you are using).
Increasing your cetane level is not the same as a petrol octane boost which inhibits pre-ignition and so allows for greater ignition advance.
Increasing cetane levels over the standard British diesel levels won't be giving you any better power and your engine will be happiest with a nice, standard premium diesel.
Save your money on the additive and get a better air filter :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ugh Millers marketing hype! Ugh!! Thanks Chris, but it does make the car run an extra 40 miles per tank full I use Esso or BP diesel in my motor, never supermarket stuff with their base additive package! I did have an Astra with a performance air filter and a Volvo 460 Turbo, they both hated it!! My fuel economy dropped!! Ugh!! So I took them out and gave them to a friend! The engine is also a tad quiet and smoother with the additive! I'm in two minds now!!:confused:

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a few people now that have said the CDA is not worth it.. How would I replace the standard box filter with a panel filter? The design of that box filter with the 180 degree bend clearly is not letting in as much air as it could, but how would I go about changing it and what with? Any links to panel filters suitable for my spec 156? Any photos of one of you guys' car's with one installed?

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
If loosing weight is not and option and your JTD is already remaped you don’t have many options to go faster in a straight line. Bigger turbo and intercooler + new injectors and custom remap to suit this installation. You will end up with much larger turbo lag, torque steer and empty wallet. Not really an option :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
CDA bang on mate, Direct replacement for STD airbox, gives more instant throttle response and sounds F*****G awesome!!!!( resembles a dump valve), i got mine from [email protected], took about an hour to fit and lasts around 25k till it needs a service.

Have pics of it in situ if you want a look:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pud237 said:
Thats a few people now that have said the CDA is not worth it.. How would I replace the standard box filter with a panel filter? The design of that box filter with the 180 degree bend clearly is not letting in as much air as it could, but how would I go about changing it and what with? Any links to panel filters suitable for my spec 156? Any photos of one of you guys' car's with one installed?
A panel filter will replace the org. filter, not the complete box. It won't give you more bhp. Your MAF will last shorter, so in the end you will have less bhp.

You could remove the intake pipe from your airbox. But it doesn't make noticable difference

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeh man,
Got genuine BMC service kit, and ready for re-generating in spring.

You have to treat it like a K & N, and check reg, but only needs a service once a year.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cragmaz, was waiting for you to reply, have seen your sig too many times and have had jealousy pangs. You got a dyno to prove the 190bhp? That is a very large improvement! Nige remapped mine too, i didn't bother with a CDA though. Did you try yours after the remap but before the CDA to see how much difference it made?

Oh, and nitrous would be fun but its far too expensive, plus with 110k on the clock I don't think the old Bella could take it :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
amsoil donaldson filter. kerma tdi injection nozzles..whoops, sorry theyre not availalable for alfa's

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I might finaly get the BMC-CDA....

So is it worth it or not??? I am getting confused here

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I'm definitely considering the BMC CDA too.. Anyone else got one? Cragmaz, could do with your expertise here buddy ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
You are limted to 330lb ft torque on the 5sp box so we end the tuning at 325lb ft with the remap and CDA's having seen what happens if you don't :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts