Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a full service in the new year, bought my car cat d so didn't come with service book so I'm just assuming it hasn't had a service in a while...

What should I do ?

Air filter
Fuel filter
Maf
Coolant change
Engine and gear box oil change
Cam belt

Is there anything else I should change ?

Many thanks, rob

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not sure that the MAF needs doing - what are the pads and discs like ? if you do these then maybe brake fluid as well ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reason I got a maf is it had a KnN panel filter and Maf wasn't looking healthy so treated it to a new one !

Pads are fine but disks have quite a big lip on so probs replace them, yeh brake fluid is probly a good idea too :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If the disks have big lips on them then it probably means that these are on the way out.

I understand why the new MAF, are you getting rid of the panel filter ?

R

·
0 Posts
what age and mileage?
I do my own servicing and repairs and until a slight run in with the local beak and boys in black, I drove it like I stole it!! Still mpg has gone from 35mpg to nothing less than 45mpg and my tyres haven't shown any wear on the inside edge for the last 4000 miles!! Thankyou m'Lud! I do the oil and air/oil filters every year and cam belt/waterpump every 60k, brake pads and discs are a piece of cake on each corner and won't cost more than £100 in parts to do all four corners!!. Depending on mileage you might be getting some squeaks and noises from the suspension but the damp weather may be hiding them. I had to do the front ARB last year and upper and lower links have lasted about 3 years each on average, front ARB is a £50 part but massive singlehanded DIY job for a beginner and probably £500 at the main dealers. I mistakenly exchanged the MAF with Alfa when I needed the EGR but you live and learn!!! Get the latest version of ECUscan and a £15 cable of the bay and you can save a lot of trrouble and reset most ecu faults!! Then after 4 years of ownership the Alternator failed to charge the battery but the car always got us home!! Other niggles come from the pedal switches on the cruise control system but £20 each is worth the luxury and piece of mind in this PC ridden shithole!! Why can we still buy a car that can break the maximum speed limit? I've never had to change any bulbs behind the drivers seat and only the fog light and side light bulbs have been changed probably twice in 5.5 years!!

Mine seems to keep up with most things in the standard tune of a similar age. Petrol BMWs are easy to beat till the badge say 330 or above and even Skoda VRS's don't pull away from me that easily! Luckily I paid so much in fines the police have dumped nearly all their Skoda's and have silver BMW 5 estates round here, so easy to spot cause they are totally standard, no blacked out windows for starters! Look out for the black shirts in Lincolnshire, it's how hitler started!

I'm sure you can tell I have issues with the law but the 147 jtd 8V is a cracking car!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh I normally do my own servicing with help from a mate, it's a 54 plate with 68000 miles, before it goes back on the road I want it running as sweet as possible :)

Guessing yours isn't standard ?

Haha yeh I can tell you have something against the law, really can't blame you tho ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the disks have big lips on them then it probably means that these are on the way out.

I understand why the new MAF, are you getting rid of the panel filter ?
Yeh discs are deffo on there way out !

Yup KnN panel is in the bin, replaced it with a Bosch panel filter, I'm keeping the air box because a few people have said an induction kit is a waste of money !

R

·
0 Posts
The diesel engines have nearly as much torque as the V6 petrols out of the box and imho Alfa do seem to be ahead in the game at getting the most out of diesel using GM building blocks!

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
The diesel engines have nearly as much torque as the V6 petrols out of the box and imho Alfa do seem to be ahead in the game at getting the most out of diesel using GM building blocks!
The Alfa 1.9 JTD 8v and 16v engines are Fiat Group engines. All Vauxhall and Saab cars with the 1.9 diesel engines have Fiat Group engines, although ECU parameters etc in these makes will no doubt be different.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nearly as much torque as the v6 ? Bloody hell can't wait to take mine for a thrash, it's such a tease lol !!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what make of components should i be going for ? there are a few different makes of cam belts and water pumps etc, are they all of the same quality ? many thanks, rob.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Go for a good brand name or buy them through EB Spares, shop4parts, Alternative Autos, AlfaWorkshop, etc

Most motor factors will also get these for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts