Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I set this weekend aside to do the GTA headlight conversion, I jacked up the car and to my horror noticed I have what seems to be a oil leak. I have taken pictures of the leak and asking for assistance from anyone who can help.

Please help!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you lost much oil ?

how much is it dripping ?
I have been using around 4L of oil approx 500miles, and I have checked outside under the car and no oil marks. The car has been standing since 1:00am this morning.

Edit - I have just checked my oil level and it has gone down to near min on the dip stick :(

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
so it doesn't sound like it's leaking when there is no pressure ... try putting it level on the road/driveway with something underneath to collect the oil and then start the engine up and then have a look underneath while its running to see if it leaks when the system is under pressure ... don't have it on jacks on in gear tho ! and do go under the car either

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4l per 500 miles :eek:

i would say that is lower crank oil seal that has gone, the only concern there is if you have oil on the cambelt then that will need replacing as well

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it doesn't sound like it's leaking when there is no pressure ... try putting it level on the road/driveway with something underneath to collect the oil and then start the engine up and then have a look underneath while its running to see if it leaks when the system is under pressure ... don't have it on jacks on in gear tho ! and do go under the car either
cheers for the idea fella, I'll go and do it in a min :thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What JW said. Front crank oil seal. Pulley off, dig it out, new pressed in is it? Never done one on an Alfa so there may be more involved Alfisti's?:):

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what makes it look worse....and sometimes makes it harder to detect it that fact that the lower pulley is acting as a 'thrower' and so makes locating the issue a bit more dificult

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
The balance shaft oil seal is a favorite to leak as well. Although loosing that amount through it is unlikely.

I think you should also remove the bracket on the sump that covers the exhaust pipe as well as its 4 bolts (the right of the 3rd picture), before it touched down and removes part of your sump.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What JW said. Front crank oil seal. Pulley off, dig it out, new pressed in is it? Never done one on an Alfa so there may be more involved Alfisti's?:):
pretty much, you will have to remove the timing belt gear and so the engine should really be 'locked'

prise out the old seal, gently tap the new one in, i normally use a hoofing great socket that is the same diameter as the seal and use that as my drift

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the 1st time I feel like just selling the car for peanuts and getting something different :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts