Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, my name is matt, i am a newbie on here so please be gentle. i wonder if any one can help me with this stupid question. my car is a 156 2.0 ts sele.my problem is a major oil leak from behind the crankshaft sprocket that the cambelt runs on. its not the balance belt its definetly the crankshft sprocket. it drips out constantly. im posting on here because my alfa dealer couldnt seem to find the part i wanted, granted the usual part man was on holiday but the other bloke was no idiot. does this oil seal exist and can i buy it ? stupid question i know but when alfa tell you it dosent exist you start to worry. many thanks, matt:) please help guys i guess what im asking is can you just pop the seal out like you can with the rear main and replace it :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
hi, my name is matt, i am a newbie on here so please be gentle. i wonder if any one can help me with this stupid question. my car is a 156 2.0 ts sele.my problem is a major oil leak from behind the crankshaft sprocket that the cambelt runs on. its not the balance belt its definetly the crankshft sprocket. it drips out constantly. im posting on here because my alfa dealer couldnt seem to find the part i wanted, granted the usual part man was on holiday but the other bloke was no idiot. does this oil seal exist and can i buy it ? stupid question i know but when alfa tell you it dosent exist you start to worry. many thanks, matt:) please help guys i guess what im asking is can you just pop the seal out like you can with the rear main and replace it :)
yes pop it out and pop it in along with a cam belt etc

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Looks like the seal is only available from Alfa as part of the casing that bolts onto the crankcase - part number 71718365 - but before you change it check why the leak is occuring - just make sure that you haven't got excessive crank end-float - you'll need to get someone to sit in the car with the engine running and the car in neutral, then put it into 1st or reverse (with foot on the brake, of course) while you watch the crank pulley to see if there is any movement as the clutch is activated - because the clutch puts pressure on the flywheel and therefore the crank, and if the thrust washers are worn the crank can move, which pushes the crank seal out at the crank pulley end.....I've had a seal fail repeatedly because of this......

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is the cambelt end of the engine then its a £3 seal that sits inside the oil pump housing. You will need to take the cabelt off and the crankshaft sproket to get to it. Remember its a left handed thread on the main crank bolt! The oil seal on the gearbox side of the engine is the expensive one, as the seal is built into a metal housing. Both of these i managed to get from my local motofactors.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As a previous poster mentioned its probably crankshaft end float.By hand try pulling the crankshaft pulleywheel backwards and forwards with the auluxillary belt removed, if it goes clunk clunk dont bother trying to change the seal until you have replaced the crankshaft thrust washers and tried to determine why they have gone.If the clunk clunk is significant the oil pump may not last long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for all the replys. all fixed not too much end float. oil seal was buggered. happy camper now :):thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts