Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was being a bit clever , filling up on new years eve to beat the VAT increase on fuel for a week or two - except that when I went out on new years day , the fuel guage was showing half full :confused:
Looking at where I parked it overnight the reason for the sudden catastrophic fuel loss became clear - and a quick check underneath confirmed it - the connector from the fuel filler pipe to the tank has split :wow:
Does anybody have one , or know where I can get one from really really soon (preferably on-line ?)
I'm getting badly fed up with this car :cry:

BTW - it's a 1989 164 , 3.0 litre V6

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Claire, I feel for you!

I don't know if it helps any, but I had a similar experience with my 164 some years ago. It wasn't the hose that had split though. The edges and surface of the hose cuff LOOK like they have cracks in them (in fact they do) but they're only surface cracks. The real culprit (on my car at least) was the "Jubilee" clip on each end. In a less than inspired move, Alfa seem to have selected clips with a stainless band but only a mild steel grub screw and housing! The stainless band looked fine, but inside the housing, the grub screw was just brown power and the clips had slackened allowing fuel to leak out. I don't have another hose, but it might just be worth a quick check underneath to make sure that it's not the clips that are at fault. If it is, you'll have the problem sorted for a few quid and half an hour's work! It's happened on two of my 164s now (although the second time, i caught it before the leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I allready replaced both clips with all-stainless ones as one of the MOT failures was the clips being mostly missing.........
The hose was looking a bit cracked , but without a good spare on hand I couldnt replace it .
This is the first time I've actually filled the tank............

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had exactly the same problem - the rubber connector pipe was completely gone. I got a secondhand one from a scrapper. In the meantime, don't fill the tank above the level of the rubber pipe!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm guessing the tank and filler neck might be the same on the 2 and 3 litre cars?? If so, I guess there's a fair chance you'll find one in a scrapper. Have you tried Alfashop and EB spares? Also Kngham's of Croydon and Mangoletsi in Cheshire seem to carry a lot of old 164 stuff. There are a few people who are breaking 164s on Ebay at present too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same hose required does anyone have one to sell?

I require the same hose that connects tank to filler tube.Part number is 60555355.
Does anyone have a good one they would sell to me.The car in question is a 1989 3.0 v6 and my cousin has owned it from brand new,Thankyou.Alan

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I believe Samstagmoonyham of this parish, is trying to get some silicone ones made, but the company concerned don't seem to be particularly receptive at the moment. I've also heard tha tvarious members of the UK AROC are in dire need too. Mine is "hanging on in there" for the moment but there are visible cracks in it. Perhaps we need to get a concrete number of definite orders together to see if we can galvanise this company into action?

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/1166751-good-news-for-164-owners.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe Samstagmoonyham of this parish, is trying to get some silicone ones made, but the company concerned don't seem to be particularly receptive at the moment. I've also heard tha tvarious members of the UK AROC are in dire need too. Mine is "hanging on in there" for the moment but there are visible cracks in it. Perhaps we need to get a concrete number of definite orders together to see if we can galvanise this company into action?

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-andamp-166/1166751-good-news-for-164-owners.html
I work for Pirtek and will have a price to have a straight silicon one made 65mm id one end and 55mm id the other with an overall length of 60mm,Thanks Alan

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I work for Pirtek and will have a price to have a straight silicon one made 65mm id one end and 55mm id the other with an overall length of 60mm,Thanks Alan
Definitely interested! It's only a matter of time before mine gives up the ghost. In fact, I need to drop the tank before the next MOT to do some brake pipes and my rear crossmember, so there's every chance it will disintegrate when I undo it! We just need to make sure it can cope with "E10" petrol in case they increase the ethanol content in future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely interested! It's only a matter of time before mine gives up the ghost. In fact, I need to drop the tank before the next MOT to do some brake pipes and my rear crossmember, so there's every chance it will disintegrate when I undo it! We just need to make sure it can cope with "E10" petrol in case they increase the ethanol content in future.
I haven't specified E10 as I have never heard of it and am not concerned by it .I'm sure a petrol resistant silicon one will be better than a disintegrated original one.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
At present, most petrol in the Uk is "E5" (i.e. it has up to 5% bioethanol in it). I don't know how resistant silicone is to it, but it does bad things the ther OE fuel hoses on 164s! E10 is just petrol with up to 10% bioethanol in it - which is being talked about for the near future, but may not happen. For the sake of the couple of minutes asking the question takes, we don't have much to lose, do we?! If you can get hold of someone at Pirtek who deals with hoses for automotive fuels, they'll know, I'm sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At present, most petrol in the Uk is "E5" (i.e. it has up to 5% bioethanol in it). I don't know how resistant silicone is to it, but it does bad things the ther OE fuel hoses on 164s! E10 is just petrol with up to 10% bioethanol in it - which is being talked about for the near future, but may not happen. For the sake of the couple of minutes asking the question takes, we don't have much to lose, do we?! If you can get hold of someone at Pirtek who deals with hoses for automotive fuels, they'll know, I'm sure.
so therefore all cars with standard fuel hoses on them will have to be replaced with E10 spec fuel hoses .

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
so therefore all cars with standard fuel hoses on them will have to be replaced with E10 spec fuel hoses .
My understanding is that relatively new cars are OK.
it's for us weirdos driving older cars who need to be mindful

·
Registered
10 Posts
No doubt there will be some overpriced additive you can put in with E10 fuel to help protect your fuel system
Have been in touch with a chap who can get me one made out of silicone with a flouro liner .The hose will be 65mm id one end and 54mm id the other .I feel sure that the 54mm id end will stretch over a 55mm od neck.Total price of £58.80 inc VAT.I think that's a very reasonable price for a bespoke hose.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not necessarily. Cars like my 1980s 164, absolutely DO need to have their fuel hoses replaced (regardless of whether it's E5 or E10). They can't tolerate ANY amount of ethanol (don't ask me how I know this)! Cars built after E5 was announced, will be fine with E5 and MIGHT be fine with E10 (in fact, PROBABLY will be) because if the hose manufacturer knew E5 was on the cards, he'd also have known E10 wasn't far off and will have designed accordingly.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
No doubt there will be some overpriced additive you can put in with E10 fuel to help protect your fuel system
There are. Most accessory shops sell it. Personally, I don't use it in the 164 but if I had an older classic with a steel fuel tank, I probably would. Last time I looked into this, Esso "Supreme" doesn't have any ethanol in it (in most parts of the country at least)!

https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Have been in touch with a chap who can get me one made out of silicone with a flouro liner .The hose will be 65mm id one end and 54mm id the other .I feel sure that the 54mm id end will stretch over a 55mm od neck.Total price of £58.80 inc VAT.I think that's a very reasonable price for a bespoke hose.
Sounds promising! I'm sure a 54mm one will stretch to 55mm. Do they have reinforcing fibres in them? Was that price for a one-off or do they have a minimum order quantity? We might be able to get a slightly better price if we get a reasonable order together. Are you in the UK Alfa Owner's Club? I know someone from there who was asking about the same thing. I could give you his contact details if you like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds promising! I'm sure a 54mm one will stretch to 55mm. Do they have reinforcing fibres in them? Was that price for a one-off or do they have a minimum order quantity? We might be able to get a slightly better price if we get a reasonable order together. Are you in the UK Alfa Owner's Club? I know someone from there who was asking about the same thing. I could give you his contact details if you like?
It is for a one off and will be ordered today,Once the hose has been made and fitted successfully I can pass on the details of where to obtain them from,Alan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts