Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1.6 alfa 156 and was just wondering what I need to do maintenance wise between services to keep her running well. Obviously I need to keep it topped up with oil since they all seem to burn a little but us there anything else I need to check regularly?

Thanks,
M

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Check all fluid levels: oil, coolant, brake fluid, power-steering fluid.
Check tyre pressures.

Make sure the bonnet catch is working properly and not sticking EVERY time you have the bonnet open.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I know about the oil and coolant, but will the brake/power steering fluid need to be checked that regularly?

Also, Im not sure what you mean by the bonnet catch sticking?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Do a search on bonnet catch, you will find loads that have either stuck closed or stuck and not closed properly and ended up smashing the screen & roof.

Yes the brake fluid & powersteering do need checking.
Checking both will take about 30-seconds...!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When was the timing belt last done ? needs to be done every 36000
If the car sounds like a diesel on start up, get the variator changed at same time, or check oil level.
Enjoy the car. One other thing, if you have orange side repeaters, change them for clear, looks better.

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have had 100,000 trouble free miles out of my 156 engine by changing the oil every 5,000 miles, belts and pulleys every 36,000, plugs every 40,000 and coolant every 2 years. I did change the variator at 72,000 (because everyone says you should) but it didn't need doing!
Power steering fluid level has never changed, brake fluid was never topped up but was changed every 2 years (along with pads and discs).
My engine didn't use any oil between changes after about 20,000 miles in total, but when it was new I topped it up every couple of weeks.
The car is still running on its original battery, exhaust, alternator, starter etc, etc after 9 years.
My car has not been faultless (Selepeed and suspension) but the engine has been the best I have owned.
Hope you do as well!
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts