Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my GT for about 3 months now and I must say I love her to pieces. What a great car and the sound of that V6 engine is to die for.

When purchasing the car I looked for one with a cambelt change etc so I didn't have to worry about the expense of having it done myself.

So after purchasing the car and since finding out that that the water pump hadn't been done along with the belt (which was only done 2 years ago and has been driven around 6000 miles) I was always worried that the worst may happen that the pump could potentially snap the belt.

So driving the car last week after booting it I start getting this whining noise sort of like a supercharger, so I booked it in straight for them to have a look at Simply Alfa's who have come highly recommended by some friends and today they confirmed that its the water pump that is shot.

So a car that only had the belt done 2 years ago and has covered around 6000 miles on that belt I am now having to get all changed again cause a stupid main Alfa Dealer (Blackburn Motor Park) didn't change that pump at the same time.

Maybe its my fault for not checking the pump had been changed along with the belt however there are enough things to look for when buying cars and I'm no mechanic expert, so what I'm really saying is how can main Alfa dealers and Alfa Romeo UK be so stupid as to not even do the pump change along with the belt as standard is beyond me its ridiculous(its almost like they want them to fail so they can coin more money from people).

Any how I guess I can count myself lucky that the belt didn't snap, so word of warning for people who are risking there pump don't do it cause things can be a lot worse.

I have every faith in Simply Alfa and the guys there and I'm getting a metal impelar so I will have no further worries!

WALLET IS A LITTLE LIGHTER THO! ;)

G

·
To be fair you don't know that the dealer who changed the belt 2 years ago didn't ask the owner at the time if they wanted the water pump changed - they may have said no to save money.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be fair you don't know that the dealer who changed the belt 2 years ago didn't ask the owner at the time if they wanted the water pump changed - they may have said no to save money.
I called the dealer directly and they told me they don't change the pump as part of the belt change, surely this should be standard.

·
Registered
30,293 Posts
I called the dealer directly and they told me they don't change the pump as part of the belt change, surely this should be standard.
It isn't part of a std belt change and won't be on their list of parts to replace.
BUT any respected independent will be replacing the std plastic pump with the metal GTV/Spider pump.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
It isn't part of a std belt change and won't be on their list of parts to replace.
BUT any respected independent will be replacing the std plastic pump with the metal GTV/Spider pump.
expensive if you have to replace it after a short time after belt service especially if it failed:(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's turned out expensive for me, but for people who aren't so into their cars and don't keep an eye on things it could of been even worse.

Just seems silly that these apparent Alfa dealers stick to the book rather than working from experience knowing that certain parts are prone to failure.

@ Evel, Lots of people swear by them hopefully picking up my car tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well it's turned out expensive for me, but for people who aren't so into their cars and don't keep an eye on things it could of been even worse.

Just seems silly that these apparent Alfa dealers stick to the book rather than working from experience knowing that certain parts are prone to failure.

@ Evel, Lots of people swear by them hopefully picking up my car tomorrow.
More visits to the stealers = more business for them.......ideally your suggestion would be ideal = happy customer............but in the real world ?

besides I'm sure some water pumps last longer than others (two belt changes perhaps ?)..........so although I do agree and knowing a little bit about alfa engines I would have mine replaced at the same time as the belts etc. while other folk may wish to have the cheapest deal and so skip the pump replacement.

But I think as the post earlier suggested they should at least give you the option as experienced dealers therby showing a tad of honesty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts