Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is a good thing, you could buy it and get it done. In my opinion its better than buying one with history of having a belt done and maybe the garage didn't change the waterpump or the idler, or did it with tippex instead of the timing tools, or used no-name parts from ebay, and in say 15k miles time it falls off and leaves you with a 1K bill. Being due a timing belt means you can easy knock £250 off the ticket price.
You are missing my point...............it did NOT have full service history!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
The official log book for a 1.9jtdm states that a cambelt is due when its 4-5 yrs old or 90000 miles which ever comes sooner. But most get it changed at 72000 miles or 4 yrs. I agree with pud237 knock the cambelt off the price and get changed by a good local indie then you can be sure its been done properly.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
My GTV had +cam belt and water pump written in the book against a service at 66k. It hadn't been done. The car dealer that I bought it off had obviously written it himself and was too quick to tell me when it had been done without me asking.

Is there such a thing as an immaculate used car, one with no scratches or stone chips and blemish free? No, it's never going to happen but it's a word that has come to be used to describe better than average cars. If a dealer said it's not immaculate to potential buyers he would never sell it. Cars need to be looked at, of course the seller is going to be full of BS, it's the way it is.

·
Premium Member
45,010 Posts
Isn't "full service history" just a list of replacement parts/fluids its (supposedly) had, not a list of things it hasn't had? If it hasn't had a belt change but all the replacement parts the vehicle has had in its life have been noted in the history, then it has a full history of its previous servicing. If you have no service records, then you have no service history. If you have some recorded but not others, you have a partial service history.

If its due a cambelt then its due a cambelt but you still have a full record of the work the car has previously had, to me that is full service history. Purely as a phrase in an advert "full service history", I see it as meaningless without looking through the invoices and seeing what is actually itemised. And even then, its only words on a piece of paper and doesn't mean the parts actually made it onto the car, or have since been removed/replaced or whatever.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
An excellent post Pud. The phrase "it has a full history of its previous servicing." sums it up perfectly.
I still say the most important thing is to check the car itself for it's current condition. See if you can find out why the owner is selling it or traded in. You see so many threads on here where owners have poured hundreds of pounds into curing a fault without success and the thread ends with them saying they are going to trade in. Those cars will have lots of receipts for parts and work done. On the other hand a car that has never given any problems in it's life and not failed an MOT will have no repair history other than wear and tear items. Which do you choose?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
The first thing I ever do when purchasing a new car is do all the belts pulleys and oils filters and renew fluids.
Its the safest way to make sure its all done. Then at least you know in your own head its done.

Belts filters and fluids the old man always said. Do those and at least then you know it should keep ticking over unless something major happens.

Even when I've done that you can just be unlucky.
Sometimes you can be lucky.

Its always going to be a bit of pot luck.
Unless you strip down a car to its barebones you'll never really know. An if you were doing that you'd never have time for your life.

Hope it goes well in whichever you car you decide on.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks very much for the heads up regarding the main dealers warranty. It was the warranty that attracted me to buying from a main dealer however it turns out that their used car warranty is no better than a traders warranty, if fact it could probably be the same warranty..........having said that, having agreed a price with the main dealer, he has just sold the car to someone else!!!! Nice!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts