Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've changed both my dipped beams and side lights to LED's and want to change my main beams too is there a way of doing that which doesn't involve taking the whole front bumper of to do so as so far all the vids I've seen on YouTube have suggested in doing that to gain access

·
Registered
699 Posts
you need a mirror and small hands :)
it can be done with a lot of fiddling but it's a pain In the backside.
LEDs in the main beam are a total waste of time though, I did it but took them out as they are worse than useless.
HIDs in the dipped are far better for seeing (but wagon drivers always seemed to notice when I flashed them with LED mains)

Front bumper removal, headlight removal/ replacement looks like a major PITA but is a surprisingly easy/quick job on the 159.

Axe

·
Registered
35,141 Posts
LEDs emit light but when used in a conventional reflector will not be effective. The filament in an incandescent bulb is centred in the parabola by design and this is how it is supposed to work. LED headlamp installations have specific lens etc to make them work and ,obviously , taillamps are all about visibility rather than illumination.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
No question that the light output will be great as far as the amount of light goes...but as said above you can't focus led light with a halogen reflector so the pattern will generally be rubbish. Same as the idiots who put HIDs in stock low beam lights and blind every one...not an issue in main beam of course. If you look in lights designed for led headlights (Audi R8 for example) the reflectors are of a completely different design. Usually only dips are projector....but even they are designed for halogen.

·
Registered
35,141 Posts
Having spent many years of my life designing and delivering lamps for a major OEM I find it unbelievable when people have a go at it themselves!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Having spent many years of my life designing and delivering lamps for a major OEM I find it unbelievable when people have a go at it themselves!
Problem is, and I've owned many alfas, newest one is a 2010 model, the lights, especially dip beem have been worse than absolutely crap, that's why people try to modify.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I find mine absolutely fine. They were not great on dip when I bought the car.....but that was because the previous owner had fitted the cheapest no name Chinese bulbs he could find to save a few quid. Quality bulbs transformed the light output...Osram in my case. Fitting quality bulbs will improve things and you stay legal and dont blind other drivers.....not that you should if its just main beam in your case.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Problem is, and I've owned many alfas, newest one is a 2010 model, the lights, especially dip beem have been worse than absolutely crap, that's why people try to modify.
I've never understood all these threads about people wanting more light.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mine, I can see just fine. No worse than any other car I've owned, and there's been many.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've never understood all these threads about people wanting more light.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mine, I can see just fine. No worse than any other car I've owned, and there's been many.
my son has a fiat punto, his lights are night and day compared to the alfa, I'm no Mr Magoo, but they are sh*t

1 - 13 of 13 Posts