Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I upgraded the dipped beam bulbs on my 1.6 JTDm G. I fitted bulbs from Halfords marked as being 90% brighter than standard ( at acost of £25 for the pair) and have found a marked improvement. My thanks to those people who in the past have shared their experiances when changing these bulbs, your insights were very useful. That said it still took me over two hours as the off side bulb retaining clip came off and is very fiddly to refit.
However the problem I now have is that as I switch from dipped to main beam the dipped beam stays on. Whilst this is good for visability is this normal? If not what have I done wrong?
Help please

·
Registered
63 Posts
As Syymon says its normal. I got Phillips upgrade bulbs from Amazon for £19 for the pair.Sorry bit late now but Best to avoid Halfrauds if possible.

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
My philips Extreme Vision (+130%) cost around £16 from Eurocarparts.

Just have to catch them when they have a good discount on.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I've used Halfords bulbs in the past & when on offer (2 for 1) they aren't too bad. In my experience they tend to last too which is quite useful! and of course they will fit them for a fee!

I recently changed mine, fitting Osram Nightbreaker Extremes. Whilst they are white, I couldn't understand why they were so dim. Anyway, out on the road at night, flicked to main beam and the centre of the beam was closer to the car than the dipped beam pattern on the road. In effect all they did was make brighter what was already illuminated! So out with the spanners and adjusted them so that the mainbeam concentration of light is just above the dipped beam cut off. Massive improvement in illumination, zero cost!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've used Halfords bulbs in the past & when on offer (2 for 1) they aren't too bad. In my experience they tend to last too which is quite useful! and of course they will fit them for a fee!

I recently changed mine, fitting Osram Nightbreaker Extremes. Whilst they are white, I couldn't understand why they were so dim. Anyway, out on the road at night, flicked to main beam and the centre of the beam was closer to the car than the dipped beam pattern on the road. In effect all they did was make brighter what was already illuminated! So out with the spanners and adjusted them so that the mainbeam concentration of light is just above the dipped beam cut off. Massive improvement in illumination, zero cost!
I always used Nightbreakers but found they dont last more than a year. Not much between the Nightbreakers and Phillips. I do find the lights are not as good as my old Mondeo

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I think that setting up the headlight alignment isn't something a lot of people pay attention to, and this has a massive impact on the effectiveness or otherwise of the headlights.

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
I think projector headlights are poor vs reflectors when using halogen bulbs.
I reckon Projector lights are pretty poor for HID as well.

They are asthetically pleasing, but in terms of light output they lack behind an old fashioned reflector.

My first BMW 5 series had halogen lights, the second I had was fitted with factory HID, and they were not much better.

To be honest for Projectors the ones on the G are not too bad. The ones on the GTV in comparison are terrible, borderline dangerous in fact.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I placed myself Philips xtreme vision 130% H7 + H1 lamps. (Recently also available with Rally 150%)

With the H7 (130%) you have significantly more light, but indeed the H1 (130%) (high beam) mainly illuminate the same place as the H7 bulbs

How can you change the position of the H1 (beam), without changing the position of the H7 ??
Can you take a picture, how you did it right?

This I would greatly appreciate

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I placed myself Philips xtreme vision 130% H7 + H1 lamps. (Recently also available with Rally 150%)

With the H7 (130%) you have significantly more light, but indeed the H1 (130%) (high beam) mainly illuminate the same place as the H7 bulbs

How can you change the position of the H1 (beam), without changing the position of the H7 ??
Can you take a picture, how you did it right?

This I would greatly appreciate
Ok the picture has the adjuster circled in yellow, 8mm hexagonal I think. picture is taken looking at the back of the unit. Park the car on a flat piece area about 5 metres away from a wall. Put the headlights on & main beam and turn the adjuster to how you want them set up. If you want it done professionally, then I'm sure any garage could do it for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks to symon and rosscoe001 who replied to my thread and confirmed that the dipped beam stays illuminated when the high beam is switched on. This confirms just how poor the headlights were so my next job will be to upgrade the main beam in the New Year.
Thanks also to andypg for explaining how to adjust thehigh beam- that would have been my next question.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, Andypj, my main light works perfectly!
While adjusting my lights, I discovered, however, something strange with my Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
If only the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are lighting, they already give a bright light

But if the dipped beam's go on, the DRL’s are much less bright.

This will be normal, but I do not understand the logic behind this :grumpy:

Would it not be, better if these (LEDs) were always bright, because all light is welcome?

Can you adjust them yourself?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The LED running lights are supposed to dim when you have the main lights on.

This is because they are capable of dazzling other drivers in the dark. The light from them scatters in all directions, so that you can be seen in the day.
Correct - unfortunately some drivers see the brightness of their DRLs and assume they are fine for driving in well-lit areas without dipped beams, not realising that they are showing no lights at all at the rear. I've seen it many times already (not unique to Alfas I might add) and it's dangerous. More education needed on DRLs.

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
Well I must admit I do tend to not worry about putting the dipped beams on quite as often as I would if I didn't have a car with DRL's.

I am not talking about when it is dark or foggy, just when visibilty is a bit less like when it is raining or very cloudy.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Well I must admit I do tend to not worry about putting the dipped beams on quite as often as I would if I didn't have a car with DRL's.

I am not talking about when it is dark or foggy, just when visibilty is a bit less like when it is raining or very cloudy.
Don't disagree with that at all, however the thing about DRLs is that they are only on at the front - nothing at the rear. Then again there is the argument about brake lights being less visible when tail lights are on.

·
Registered
37,532 Posts
Most of the time the lack of rear lights isn't a big issue unless it is foggy.

Even in the dark a car coming up front behind should see your car unless they have their lights off as well...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts