Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A flushing oil (not additive) as available under Comma nd Granville brands. It is a high detergency mineral oil so should be able to be used for a few miles or idle/fast idle for 20 minutes. I have used both on various engines (TS & JTS) and not had ill effects.
Remember to allow the old oil to drain out for ages though. If done right, all of the 5 litre can of new oil should take it to maximum. The only downside is the oil level is harder to read because it is and stays so clean.
I just spotted this;

Liqui Moly 2427 Pro-Line Engine Flush
reads well in reviews;

Review here too:

Came out top on a review here too...:

I guess after draining , if it's not that possible re-assemble and run the car with a cheap oil then perhaps it would be prudent to put about a litre of oil through to push out the old oil and flush?..

I've got my mechanic to do oil changes on my car as it's previously been lowered and there really is not the elbow or nose room to even get under there!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Many cars and bikes I've owned came with a magnetic sump plug as standard. Even in a healthy engine you get a certain build up of metal particles...tiny fine stuff you would never see in the sump or oil...big sparkly bits is bad of course...but the ultra fine black/grey stuff you can't even feel between your finger tips is just the metal from normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Many cars and bikes I've owned came with a magnetic sump plug as standard. Even in a healthy engine you get a certain build up of metal particles...tiny fine stuff you would never see in the sump or oil...big sparkly bits is bad of course...but the ultra fine black/grey stuff you can't even feel between your finger tips is just the metal from normal wear and tear.
I get that if there were any large bits of swarf that it would be something to be very concerned about...
The magnetic plugs you had; did they essentially work? Is it just a gimmick?
Unless they show a warning of any large bits that would show in the old oil if inspected...
Is it worth my trouble I am wondering?
Even if it’s a small amount that the filter misses might it be worth it?
I’m probably overthinking it but it’s an option....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts