Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any faults with their selespeed system manufactured by magneti marelli?I think i read from Hogards mail that they started to produce them for Alfa two years ago. I got a good offer for my 2001 147 ss.I want to fit a new ss pump and actuator. I dont want the next owner to suffer like i Did.Am not sure if the pump is also manufactured by them. Please assist as you have before.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
The Selespeed system (Actuator, pump & ECU) has always been made by Magneti Marelli.
But there have been several updates to the various components over the years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Selespeed system is manufactured by Magneti Marelli since the begining and there was some modification/update in its software and on the actuator over the years. The selespeed block (attached to the gearbox) itself is a very sophisticated system - on one single block you have actuators moving up and down, side ways and left and right, then you have at least 5 solenoids to control these actuators and several sensors (potentiometer & a pressure sensor) to give feedback to the computer. With so many moving parts - the chances for it to fail is greater. IMHO

·
Registered
240 Posts
Selespeed... might as well write an open cheque to Alfa if it goes wrong.

We had one customer have a gearbox and actuator go at the same time!

3k bill! :eek:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Is the SS system really that fragile? I thought it was the same components used in the Ferarri F1 and Maserati... In 11k, the only prblem I've had was minor, had to replace the shift paddles (under warranty), as pressure to the outer edge of the paddles no longer produced a shift. This is a common problem supposedly caused by enthusiastic new owners pressing the paddles too hard...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
pwig said:
yeah had a few paddles go, but yes, actuators are the most common failure.
Is this a common problem for Ferrari and Maserati as well? I wonder why we don't hear about it more often?

·
Registered
29 Posts
In F1 transmission, basically they use one hydraulic servo that rotate a camshaft and on this camshaft there are several grooves around it, as this camshaft rotate it will move the selector forks to change gear in such a way that the gear will down-shift if it is rotated in one direction and up-shift in the other direction and only one rotary encorder is used for the position feedback. The problem with Selespeed is that it is designed as a block that just like a plug-and-play system that can be fitted to ordinary Alfa Romeo Manual gearbox - they have to use the "H" movement when changing gears.
I hope you guys can understand my english..... :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this mean that the newer selespeed systems with all upgrades are still extremely faulty?BMW smg system isnt as faulty as selespeed.Where can i buy the 4407 software?I made several calls to dealers and they know nothing about the software.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
The 4407 was the recall code for the early 156 Selespeeds to have the software updated. Your 147 is probably a newer and better version.

My Selespeed is one of the early ones, and I never had any problems worth mentioning. Remember that if the engine stalls the Selespeed system will return an error message allthough it's actually the engine management who's to blame. That have fooled a lot of people into believing their Selespeed system was faulty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
'Manuspeed' is certainly less troublesome in Alfa Romeos. But considering how complicated Selespeed is, I am surprised it is so 'reliable' ;)

I am not really sure why you would want to replace a 'good and working' actuator and pump. :confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stori said:
'Manuspeed' is certainly less troublesome in Alfa Romeos. But considering how complicated Selespeed is, I am surprised it is so 'reliable' ;)

I am not really sure why you would want to replace a 'good and working' actuator and pump. :confused:
Think the pump is damaged.has a weak sound when opening the drivers door.Its no longer makes a proper gear sound when engaging gears. from 2 to 1 or reverse.The actuator might be ok. I want to be ready for the worst chase scenario. I had big plans for upgaring the suspenssion as well the body work . It keeps having problems (expensive ones).

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
What is the Selespeed system pressure reading from the Examiner?
(I think it should be around 50bar...)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Am sad to hear the Selespeed system is so fragile and prone to problems. Though I have had no problems and no complaints, and am basically in love with my car and the SS system, I'm sure I wouldn't have bought it if I knew how bad it was (I was under the impression it was the same components as Ferarri and Maserati). I am even more surprised to hear that the BMW SMG system is considered better. I test drove an M3 with SMG and thought the GTA SS (at least in terms of smoothness and speed of shifts) was much better. Oh well... :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David C said:
What is the Selespeed system pressure reading from the Examiner?
(I think it should be around 50bar...)
Its still a the garage. I will be picking it up on Wednesday.Will let you know.

GTA charlie.Its a great car when it works.If i had known about this forum before buying a selespeed, i would have bought a manual.I guess it was a big mistake.The car was ok for 9 months and then just died during rush hour traffic.I had the flashing gear problem that was sorted out.Now this, whats next?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long do you reckon you will keep ur selespeed?i feel f/up coz i own a nice car thats no use to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Selespeed

Ciao ragazzi

I am currently looking at buying a 147 selespeed, 2005. Brand new top of the range Alfa.

Should I ? Currently own a Perfect Corolla. :)

Whats with the Selespeed?? Should i buy an manual instead.

Love those Paddles tho.

Thanks.
Adam

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Selespeed

djadam said:
Ciao ragazzi

I am currently looking at buying a 147 selespeed, 2005. Brand new top of the range Alfa.

Should I ? Currently own a Perfect Corolla. :)

Whats with the Selespeed?? Should i buy an manual instead.

Love those Paddles tho.

Thanks.
Adam
Unless the acutator, pump and the ecu have been improved seriously.I mean working perfectly THEN STAY AWAY.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Skillz said:
GTA charlie.Its a great car when it works.If i had known about this forum before buying a selespeed, i would have bought a manual.I guess it was a big mistake.The car was ok for 9 months and then just died during rush hour traffic.I had the flashing gear problem that was sorted out.Now this, whats next?
I've had my car for 8 months with no problems so I hope this doesn't mean I am destined for a major SS failure next month.

As I've said elsewhere, I've owned 5 BMWs which were amazing cars in many ways, but they never got me excited the same way my GTA does (even my old M3). It can be argued that BMWs mostly outperform and are more reliable than Alfas, though they are overpriced (at least in Japan), and many of them are just downright ugly (X3 for example).

This is my second V6 Alfa, and though I love my GTA more than any car I've ever owned (partially because of the Selsepseed system, which I found better than BMW's SMG), if it started having major problems, I would definitely consider going back to either BMW (next generation V8 M3 with SMG), or if my business takes off, Porshe or Maserati. My work schedule is extremely tight and requires a lot of driving. Though I am a car enthusiast, I can't afford to own an unreliable car. I thought with the 147 and 156 Alfa had sort of gotten beyond it's reliability problems....

For now I will continue to enjoy my car, but reading these post had really put a sense of dread in the pit of my stomach about what I should expect from her in the future...

·
Registered
400 Posts
GTACharlie said:
Is the SS system really that fragile? I thought it was the same components used in the Ferarri F1 and Maserati... In 11k, the only prblem I've had was minor, had to replace the shift paddles (under warranty), as pressure to the outer edge of the paddles no longer produced a shift. This is a common problem supposedly caused by enthusiastic new owners pressing the paddles too hard...
i think ONLY for the GTAs are the SS gearbox a more direct derivative from the Ferrari clutchless manuals... as for the SS found in the Tspark/JTS versions, it is quite different frm our GTA SS boxes - the main diff i think is the GTA having 2 actuators?? tats y there are still owners of the 3G Tspark selespeeds complainin of slow shift speeds...

with the DSG having quite a similar concept... 2 heads being better than one?! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts