Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine keeps telling that i should get a set of Magneti Marelli (gold lodge) plugs for my GTV, said that ill feel a difference in performance, has anyone ever hear of or used these plugs?........there not cheap, what would normally be recommended for a GTV?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Traditionaly Alfa Romeo (pre FIAT) used Golden Lodge spark plugs in their engines (4 electrode). These spark plugs were prone to fouling in every 4 cylinder Alfa Romeo Engine I owned in the late '70 onwards...Probably gave rise to the "Italiian tune' where you reved the crap out of your car to get it running right!

I found that 'Splitfire plugs' worked much better than Golden Lodge, giving a better idle in Cars such as my 1983 ALfetta GTV 2.0 and were much less prone to fouling.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I've used Golden Lodge and compared to the Bosch Super-4 (4-electrode) plugs, for instance, there's no difference.

In fact I'd say I can't honestly tell the difference between any "premium" type of plug. I've tried them all - platinum tipped, platinum coated, split and 4-electrode, 4-bladed and V-groove. None seem head and shoulders better than any other.

Currently using Champion Ion (platinum tipped) with no probs.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spark plugs

Hi I have also golden lodge plugs in my Milano 3.0l. Can the cause the car to have some little blue smoke when reving and engine warm? I haven't changed my plugs in a long time.

Thanks
Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts