Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just traced a severe hesitation on my 2001 156 2.4JTD to a duff MAF. Looking around for a replacement.

Reading numerous posts on this site, advice seems to be to go for a genuine Bosch unit, however they ain't cheap.

I came across a Magneti Marelli equivalent unit for £49.75 plus VAT and carriage from a company called Webcon UK Ltd.

Does anyone have experience of the MM type and/or Webcon? (company name is a bit worrying! :lol: )

Alternatively, anyone know where to get a genuine Bosch unit at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just fiitted new Bosch MFU I got from Alternative auto's and car running very well now. Cost £69.5 +vat. Previously got one on Ebay which was crap. For that reason I would stay with the Bosch one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got a bosch one off ebay for £40 odd quid delivered. Works fine and was deffo an original bosch. sure there's a thread with a link somewhere on here

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a bosch one off ebay for £40 odd quid delivered. Works fine and was deffo an original bosch. sure there's a thread with a link somewhere on here
Hi - there is a thread about Bosch MAFs vs. poor quality knock-offs, however I haven't seen anything about the Magneti Marellis. MM is a proven manufacturer, hence I thought it would be less risky than eBay. I guess it depends who you deal with.

Can you remember who you bought your one from?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am also wondering about this - I have a well known / established shop near me (GSF) who provide 1 year guarantee on all parts sold, and their MAF's whilst no Bosch, he says will be guaranteed for a year.

Their MAF's are about £50 in total, so I still think that its worth paying the extra £30 or so for genuine bosch, but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Personally, I'd give it a go. Unipart also supply engine electronics under the brand Fuel Parts. I have used this brand for some time, and am using a Fuel Parts MAF without problems....so far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Webcon are a very well established outfit established 20 years +. They are the uk distributors of weber carburettors and fuel system products, so I think you would be OK with the MM one from them.

Also, isn't MM owned by the Fiat Group??

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well, I bought one from GSF, and whilst it is better than the old bosch one, it is not perfect.

The car still doesnt feel as powerful as it should be, and idle can sometimes go up or down on its own. Also the revs sometimes dip for a second when you press the throttle.

So, will be returned and a genuine one bought.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Webcon are a very well established outfit established 20 years +. They are the uk distributors of weber carburettors and fuel system products, so I think you would be OK with the MM one from them.

Also, isn't MM owned by the Fiat Group??
I agree, I've used them for Weber parts in the past with no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got an MM MAF, it doesn't throw up the fault code I was getting with the cheap ebay one, but since fitting it the car feels worse than it did before, and also the car hesitates A LOT when you put your foot down... anyone else had problems with MM MAFs?

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
When everyone is telling you to fit a genuine Bosch MAF, why are you surprised when you hit problems with a different make?

Same applies to Lambda sensors, NGK (although a well known make) don't work properly on the 16v TS engines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I have to say I'm pretty surprised that it seems to be worse than the cheapo ebay knock off at least! And also from looking at the previous comments, not everyone is saying only to use a bosch one, so I'll thank you not to take such a tone! }:)

Also my lambda is an NTK one, and it seems faultless - the readings on alfadiag are exactly as they should be showing nice smooth fluctuations, no anomolous spikes or anything. The cheap universal one I had was rubbish, but this seems absolutely fine, no fault codes either in 500+ miles.

Has ANYONE had a positive experience with the MM MAFs? Mine i going back for replacement, if the replacement is no good either then I'll ask for a refund and get a bosch one, but I can't believe that MM would not be any good, when they are an OE manufacturer, and that Weber injection systems use MM sensors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I bit the bulllet yesterday and bought a Bosch MAF from Andrew Page in Salfod, £101.75inc VAT, and its like a new car! Pretty much faultless now, so worth every penny. I think I can say, at least for my case, that Magneti Marelli MAFs are not a good idea! Interestingly, although MM list them as being an equivalent part to the bosch part number, they only list as being for the 1.6 and 1.8 enginges, so posssibly they would be OK on the smaller engines.

Am going to try and get my money back for the MM one... will see what happens there!

Originall posted in http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...s-problem-hesitant-cr-p-when.html#post2051981

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my new Bosch MAF yesterday and fitted it last night. What a difference! I've got my old car back again! :cool:

Only problem is that my aftermarket tuning chip no longer seems to work, but the car is lively enough without it so I'm not that concerned.

Thanks for the advice to steer clear of the MM type. Ended up paying just €98 delivered from Autoricambi. Not sure about VAT though.....:)

Would certainly consider getting parts from him again....was quick considering it had to come from Italy and also miles cheaper than any of the UK options I could find.

Would definitely advise replacing the MAF even if it's slightly dodgy...the difference is amazing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts