Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have hesitation around the 4k mark or so.

I took the corrugated hose off to the throttle body, examined for splits and can't see any at all.

I unhooked the MAF at least I think I did, the connection just above the cylindrical drum off the air intake pipe.

I was going to give it a run like that and see if it was any different, however, when I did this, it immediately felt like it was struggling even at idle, and the 'dipstick' like light stayed on.

Is the above normal with MAF disconnected, if it is, I'll run it like it, but I don't want to complicate things further if not.

Cheers

Mick

D

·
0 Posts
EML will come on with MAF disconnected and very often wont idle. Proof is in the driving rather than at idle. Light will go off when you re-connect MAF

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it went off as soon as I plugged back in.

I'll disconnect this afternoon and give it a run, see if that is the culprit!

Many thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
So, I have hesitation around the 4k mark or so.

I took the corrugated hose off to the throttle body, examined for splits and can't see any at all.

I unhooked the MAF at least I think I did, the connection just above the cylindrical drum off the air intake pipe.

I was going to give it a run like that and see if it was any different, however, when I did this, it immediately felt like it was struggling even at idle, and the 'dipstick' like light stayed on.

Is the above normal with MAF disconnected, if it is, I'll run it like it, but I don't want to complicate things further if not.

Cheers

Mick
Sure to be clear, when people talk about disconnecting the MAF i always assumed this meant disconnecting to wire going to the MAF?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's all I did, the power supply to it, I can't see any reason for doing any more when just testing functionality, but I am happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you couldn't get anything more conclusive than that!!

MAF disconnected, I could be driving a different car, never mind hesitation at 4k, the whole range is better, far quicker acceleration!!!!

Now the downside of my new found joy, having moved back from across the pond to start life all over again, flying the stepkids in for Xmas, the last thing I can do for a month or two is throw more money at the car, just did the clutch.

So, bearing in mind that within a couple of months, I will replace, what is anything can I do in the meantime to try and help it work for a while, cleaning maybe? And if so, how, where and what with?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

D

·
0 Posts
Whatever you do get a Bosch one !!

Eurocarparts are doing 25% off with their "winter25" code failing that try to pm "RGWM", Autolusso or Italiaautoparts who may have a good used one.

At least you got to the bottom of the problem tho :thumbs:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever you do get a Bosch one !!

Eurocarparts are doing 25% off with their "winter25" code failing that try to pm "RGWM", Autolusso or Italiaautoparts who may have a good used one.

At least you got to the bottom of the problem tho :thumbs:
Well cleaning made no odds, but at least gave me the chance to note the part numbers on the MAF.

Have taken your advice and pm'd the above to see if they have used units.

Question left in my mind at this stage, leave it connected till I replace, just underpowered and hesitation, or, disconnect it and run it like that, recognising idle issues of course.

Any thoughts on that last point anyone?

Thanks for all the help of those on here!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't think it's wise to leave the maf un-plugged for any length of time. Have you checked the condition of the air filter by the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts