Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buonasera amici (gotta love google translate)

Is it safe to machine polish a 156? I just find the paintwork really dull and not reflective at all. Already clayed the car, polished i by hand then waxed. But still nowehre near the shine my neighbour gets on his stupid VW. Would machine polishing help.

What I'm after is the "wet look" where everything reflects nicely of the bodywork....Am I on the quest for the holly grail with the 156 paintwork?:confused:

grazie

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
the paint on mine is so thin I worry about rubbing it to hard with a spunge...... the rubber on the bottom of the door as worn away the paint....... its a late 2005 car at 60k and i have never seen paint so bad :(

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Yes it is safe but to be on the safe side try and get a 'paint depth gauge', tbh you shouldn't do machine polishing without one just incase a panel is very thin on paint :thumbs:

And also choose the right products, I use Gtechniq P1 to cut and polish the paint, it's fool proof and you can use a wool pad without worrying too much about cutting through the paint plus it's water based so a small amount + a spritz of water will activate it more :)

I also use Gtechniq P2 after the P1 as it's a hologram remover and gives a nice deep deep shine to it, plus it's not a aggresive cutting compound so totally fine to use :thumbs:

A quick video showing how to use P1.
P1 demonstration - YouTube#!

Polishing // G|Techniq
Polishing // G|Techniq

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I also use P1, seems to be pretty fool proof as stated above!

If you've never done anything like this before then go for a DA (dual action) machine.

It's also a good idea to have a good light source. If you machine in the shade then your paint may look great but once it hits the sunlight you could have 'holograms' all over the shop which look worse than dull paint! A DA should drastically reduce the chances of this though.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I also use P1, seems to be pretty fool proof as stated above!

If you've never done anything like this before then go for a DA (dual action) machine.

It's also a good idea to have a good light source. If you machine in the shade then your paint may look great but once it hits the sunlight you could have 'holograms' all over the shop which look worse than dull paint! A DA should drastically reduce the chances of this though.
What he said :D

P2 will take away whatever holograms are left :thumbs:

·
Registered
988 Posts
...... the rubber on the bottom of the door as worn away the paint....... (
I have the same problem but on my car (2004 156) this issue is on the repainted panels.

As for machine polishing, a DA is a very good idea. I have just started playing with P1 and it is a nice product aside from the need to mist the pad to keep it from drying out. This is not a big problem but overall I would highly recommend this polish to anyone. P1 also works wonders on trim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is safe but to be on the safe side try and get a 'paint depth gauge', tbh you shouldn't do machine polishing without one just incase a panel is very thin on paint :thumbs:

And also choose the right products, I use Gtechniq P1 to cut and polish the paint, it's fool proof and you can use a wool pad without worrying too much about cutting through the paint plus it's water based so a small amount + a spritz of water will activate it more :)

I also use Gtechniq P2 after the P1 as it's a hologram remover and gives a nice deep deep shine to it, plus it's not a aggresive cutting compound so totally fine to use :thumbs:

A quick video showing how to use P1.
P1 demonstration - YouTube#!

Polishing // G|Techniq
Polishing // G|Techniq
Thanks for the info guys. had a quick browse through the wild world of web and found that the paint depth gauges are pricey...round 200 quidos. Are there any cheaper versions around?

PS Sorry or posting in wrong section

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. had a quick browse through the wild world of web and found that the paint depth gauges are pricey...round 200 quidos. Are there any cheaper versions around?

PS Sorry or posting in wrong section
That's okay, it's still to do with detailing but a much more advanced version of it :)

This will be okay for you doing your car, I bought one of these when I 1st got into detailing then upgraded to a all singing and dancing one because I detail other people's cars in my spare time but it'll be fine for you :thumbs:

elcometer 456 paint thickness gauge with F1 probe | hire | inlec

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That meter gadget thingy looks cool. I suppose it could come also handy when buying a car to check for repaired panels....trying to find excuses to buy one ;)
How does it compare in accuracy with the pro ones?

ps. snowing outside...incidently I bought a snow foam lance and snow foam shampoo :). will test hopefully this weekend if weather is on my side. Havent washed her for over four weeks now due to work commitment (working on weekends). But this weekend, I'll have a romantic date with a hot italian, she'll end up on top of me ;)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I love snow foam, looks soooooo cool when it's on the car but it can be tricky to find the perfect ratio at 1st :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
hmmmm....let the experiments begin. got the valet pro ph neutral. any previous experience?
That's what I use and it is good :) like I said takes a while to get the ratio right :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts