Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I want to have a go at machine polishing my GTV but I'm not really sure which products to buy!! Do I need a DA polisher or rotary polisher etc and would a cheap one do the job? I've been watching junkman2000 on YouTube which is very informative but being in USA the products are obviously different than in the UK.

Appreciate any help you can give me!??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey there.

Comparing a DA to a Rotary polisher would be the same as comparing a butter knife to a scalpel.
This is exaggerated of course :)

Get a decent DA, for example Kestrel DAS6 or something along those lines.
A Rupes Bigfoot clone(tons are starting to appear on the market) can also be a good idea, just get one from a reputable manufacturer.

What polish and pads you need depends on the paint you are going to work on and with all the brands out there i would pick one and stick with it.
I would hit up The Worlds Largest Resource for Detailers, Valeters and Car Cleaning and have a look around.
Dont use that forum myself as we have quite a strong community here in Norway, but im sure you can find more help there :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Get the DAS-6 DA with the Meguiars Microfibre system. Simple 2-stage process is ideal for newbies and you'll quickly understand the techniques.

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk has a number of full kits for circa. £150.00

You'll never go back to hand polishing..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the das 6 pro and have done the bonnet with it this weekend . Great piece of kit imo and really happy with it. It's more powerful than the das 6 I think with a 850w motor.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
following on from this .............................. i understand what the machine does, can someone explain the process.....................just confused with all these heads ??

is it just simply same as hand polishing i apply the AG SRP and then next head for the final polish, is it that simple

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
following on from this .............................. i understand what the machine does, can someone explain the process.....................just confused with all these heads ??

is it just simply same as hand polishing i apply the AG SRP and then next head for the final polish, is it that simple
Each pad does different things...

Medium cut pad
Heavy cut pad

Same for polishing pads

Soft pad for wax / glaze etc.

I wouldn't bother with SRP, much better stuff available for machine use..

Sonus
Menzerna
3M
and so on.

Key to success is up front prep work..

G3 Detox shampoo
Clay

I use Filler Killer as it's like prepaint, strips all existing polish, glaze and wax to give you the ultimate build up.

Budget at least 10-15 hours for a proper session.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could anyone advise how loud a DA is. I would be using it at home and don't want to annoy the neighbours. Same as an electric sander? I would prefer less.

I've used a rotary polisher once, but gave up as it was too noisy.

Peter

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Could anyone advise how loud a DA is. I would be using it at home and don't want to annoy the neighbours. Same as an electric sander? I would prefer less.

I've used a rotary polisher once, but gave up as it was too noisy.

Peter

The DA is probably on par noise wise with a rotary. If anything fractionally quieter.

An alternative option is rather than spending loads on buying the tools, pads and cutting compounds. Pay a professional to do it for same money, and simply enjoy maintaining the finish afterwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts