Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buried deep in some other threads is the suggestion (Ransoman?) that the MA Unit feed filter should be serviced occasionally.

My 2011 (reg 31/06/11) MA has done about 48,000 miles and will soon be due the 54,000 service (the initial service was at 24 months rather than 18,000 miles) so the intention is to have the belts, water pump, tensioners etc. changed at the same time.

However the service schedule makes no mention of the MA unit feed filter so I am considering asking for this to be inspected/cleaned/replaced and I wondered what other forum members have had done, if anything, after this age/mileage. Is the garage likely to throw up their hands in horror and say it has never been suggested before and is totally unnecessary?

It is my intention to keep this car as long as is reasonably possible so I want to ensure that nothing is left undone that might cause expensive problems in the future.

·
Registered
33,771 Posts
The main dealer told me they'd never changed a strainer filter so I let them do the servicing and added the strainer and air filter to the belt change a short while later at Day and Whites. I imagine the MA filter could just be cleaned but I had it replaced at 4 years.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Got it, thanks!! I live in Germany, and it's better to have the part no. than try and explain what it is in my German!

Cheers,

Benn
I know your problem...I was a mechanic in Germany more years ago than I care to remember. Never was fluent but most words I knew were related to car parts ! Oil filter was virtually a straight translation as Ol filter ( can't do the umlaut over the O as the keyboard won't let me. Strainer I think is Barsieb but I'm sure there are Deutsch speakers on this site that can do better than that ! Viel Gluck :thumbup:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know your problem...I was a mechanic in Germany more years ago than I care to remember. Never was fluent but most words I knew were related to car parts ! Oil filter was virtually a straight translation as Ol filter ( can't do the umlaut over the O as the keyboard won't let me. Strainer I think is Barsieb but I'm sure there are Deutsch speakers on this site that can do better than that ! Viel Gluck :thumbup:

Danke!

Nice to know there are others who know what I mean! :)

I'm actually OK with the normal, but whenever it gets to car lingo, I end up over-translating and I start sounding a bit strange!

BTW, the Multi Air Strainer: Online, it shows up as "Stopfen" so roughly translates to "stopper/plug"

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main dealer told me they'd never changed a strainer filter so I let them do the servicing and added the strainer and air filter to the belt change a short while later at Day and Whites. I imagine the MA filter could just be cleaned but I had it replaced at 4 years.
:thumbup:Thanks Cue, that was where I was coming to

around £25 I believe?

I'd get one, then alternate the cleaned filters every oil change.
Sounds good if you do your own oil changes. However I cannot see me presenting the garage with a used, but cleaned, filter to be swapped over. :devious:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is the MA filter easily accessible, or is it hidden away and best done during a more involved job such as cambelt replacement ? :)
It is quite easy accessible, you will only need to remove the belt cover on the left side of the engine which is mounted with 2 bolts. Then take the ECU cable out of it's clamp so you will have a bit more room to work with and after this has been done you can directly take out the MA filter by inbus.

I happened to have done it yesterday and happy that I did as this is what I took out:

Multiair Module Filter - Imgur

:shocked:

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is quite easy accessible, you will only need to remove the belt cover on the left side of the engine which is mounted with 2 bolts. Then take the ECU cable out of it's clamp so you will have a bit more room to work with and after this has been done you can directly take out the MA filter by inbus.

I happened to have done it yesterday and happy that I did as this is what I took out:

Multiair Module Filter - Imgur

:shocked:
Thanks for the info Tim...looks a bit gungy doesn't it ! I will have ours renewed next oil change. :paranoid:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the info Tim...looks a bit gungy doesn't it ! I will have ours renewed next oil change. :paranoid:
Out of interest, do any of you insist that the oil changed is done the traditional sump-plug way? (And not the modern, sucking it out way?). I know it involves a lot more time to take off the undertray.

I somehow don't trust vacuuming it out due to any possible sludge, which can clearly be seen in the Feeder Filter pic posted.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Out of interest, do any of you insist that the oil changed is done the traditional sump-plug way? (And not the modern, sucking it out way?). I know it involves a lot more time to take off the undertray.

I somehow don't trust vacuuming it out due to any possible sludge, which can clearly be seen in the Feeder Filter pic posted.
Can't honestly say I have ever asked...although I usually drive the 6 miles or so home after an oil and filter change and dip the oil, it's always been spotlessly clear and new looking, also at the correct level. I will make a point of putting them through their paces next time !:happy:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Doesn't really show that well on the picture, but the mess on the inside was fully glogged up and I really wonder how well it would still let oil flow through. Let alone actually filter the oil. :paranoid:

·
Registered
188 Posts

Removing the undertray is really not that hard imho, I once did it myself by jacking up the car with the jack from the spare wheel and I guess I did it within 10 minutes, just make sure you have a good ratchet lug wrench and you should have little to no problems.

I never heard of the sucking out option, though for a peace of mind I would also just go through the sump plug. 1 Advice though, when you are going to be doing this yourself, before draining the oil make sure to check whether you can undo the oil cap underneath the bonnet. Sometimes these are impossible to undo and you do not want to end up with your oil drained and no way to exchange the filter.

PS: as for the pic of the filter I posted, this was even after I did a motor flush which I would expected to have cleaned it a bit more. Then again, it was about 8 or 9k km's ago so could have just build up again.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts